Is My Russian Military Hip Flask Actually Made in China?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moejoe15
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Russian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
moejoe15
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I bought a stainless steel hip flask on Ebay supposedly russian military. Picture of Lenin and a flag with a cyrillic word on it over a red star.

On the bottom it's stamped with a hammer and sickle and RUSSIA (didn't show that in the pics on Ebay). Would russia use the word RUSSIA? I would expect cyrillic or something, not english. It's well made I just didn't want something made in china. Their stainless usually isn't. Anyway, I checked online a bit but couldn't find the answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Russian Military probably wouldn't write anything in English any more than the U.S. military would stamp "Соединённые Шта́ты Аме́рики" on something.
 
I would expect 'Россия' or 'СССР' (Russia or USSR).
 
Hi,
What you got is not at all a military style. (I'm from Russia.)
Military flasks (or canteens) in the Russian Army (and in former USSR) are made of aluminum and their volume is 0.75 liters. They are painted olive drab (or khaky as it's written in the link below) and are oval in shape. They are no hip flasks at all and are worn on a belt.

It could be a sort of souvenir that you got, and supposedly it's made in China.
Sorry to disappoint you... :-(
Here is a link:
http://automotogarage.ru/military_canteen.html

These days some companies use the word Russia in the phrase "Made in Russia".
However, most still use Cyrillic inscription: Сделано в России
Back in soviet times, it was: Сделано в СССР