Is my PGRE score worth sending out?

• Testing
  • Thread starter electricsheep420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
electricsheep420
Just got my PGRE scores back, got a 910/990. I'm not really happy with my score since I thought that test went really well. Even while taking the practice tests every single question seemed doable. I'm wondering if its good enough for competitive schools. My GPA is 3.75, so I thought of taking the PGRE to kind of make up for it. Is 910 good enough to make up for my GPA? Or would you recommend that I take it again.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's about the middle of the pile for those who get accepted into grad school somewhere (and that does not mean the 50.0000th percentile). You could retake it, but what is your plan? Getting a 920 will open very few doors that a 910 didn't. A 980 or 990 would, but how do you plan to get a score that high? That would require you moving up ~1000 places in the rankings.

According to ETS a 910 is somewhere between the 81st and 85th percentiles. Whether that's a sufficient score will depend on the individual programs you plan on applying to.

gwnorth said:
Whether that's a sufficient score will depend on the individual programs you plan on applying to.
And, perhaps even more importantly, what the rest of the application looks like.

1. Is the PGRE score an important factor in graduate school admissions?

Yes, the PGRE score is an important factor in graduate school admissions for physics, astronomy, and related fields. It is used as a measure of a student's potential for success in graduate level coursework.

2. What is considered a good PGRE score?

A good PGRE score is typically in the range of 750-990, with the average score being around 800. However, the definition of a good score may vary depending on the specific graduate program and university.

3. Can a low PGRE score hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

Yes, a low PGRE score can potentially hurt your chances of getting into graduate school. However, it is not the only factor considered in admissions and a low score can be offset by strong letters of recommendation, research experience, and a strong academic record.

4. Should I send my PGRE score to all the graduate schools I am applying to?

It is generally recommended to send your PGRE score to all the graduate schools you are applying to, even if it is not required. This shows that you are serious about your application and allows the admissions committee to have a complete picture of your academic abilities.

5. Can I retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the PGRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, it is important to carefully consider whether retaking the exam is worth the time, effort, and cost. It is also important to note that some graduate programs may average your scores if you take the exam multiple times.