Is my professor v. fast, or is it normal in colleges?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Modest Learner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Normal Professor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Modest Learner
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Is my professor v. fast, or is it normal in colleges??

My 2nd semester of my college degree has just started. My maths course has

ODE
PDE
Linear Algebra
Eigenvalues and Eigen-vectors
Fourier Series
Laplace Transforms
Complex Variables

So far I bought, GF Simmons(textbook) for differential equations. In a week, I barely managed to finish ch-1, which my prof. did in 1 lecture, that's one hour. In one whole week, that is 3 hours, he finished whole 1st order Linear Equations, and has started 2nd order; which he says he is sure to finish in 2 days.

Now I am, due to my tendency to remain ahead of profs., is very much uncomfortable with it. Strictly speaking, I am way behind him.
The question is "Is my professor going too fast, or is it normal in college?".

The problem is also with my schedule...my college in addition to daily up-down takes 13 hours a day...or 58 hours a week (Friday has only 6 hours to its share).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on the choice of topics that sounds like a math methods course and most courses of that nature are similarly paced.