Transferring to University from CC: Preparation advice

In summary, the speaker is concerned about their preparation for their upcoming transfer to a university, particularly in mathematics. They are considering reviewing calculus 1 and 2 material over the summer or studying future material on their own. They also mention the advantages of moving closer to the university and reducing their work hours. They ask if anyone has felt disadvantaged after transferring from a community college to a university and if there is a significant difference in course difficulty. They also clarify that they do not intend to discredit their community college, but they feel there may be a difference in testing rigor between community college and university courses.
cseal
Hello all:

I just finished my last semester at a community college, and I'll be starting at a university in the fall. I'm a little concerned with my preparation, especially in mathematics. My major choices were nuclear engineering and physics on my application, so I could be majoring in either depending on the college of engineering's decision on my application.

I'm concerned that my classes at the community college level may not have adequately prepared me for the university's coursework. I'll be taking a fundamentals of differential equations class in the fall and calculus 3 in the spring regardless of major. Would it be more advantageous for me to review the calculus 1 & 2 material from my textbook over the summer, or should I begin studying the future material on my own? I've always felt that I was a good math student, but calculus 1 and 2 were among the few classes in which I made B's.

One advantage that I will have upon beginning at the university is that I will be moving to the city where the university resides. The past 3 semesters I've been commuting 10 hours per week because of the 2 hour round trip to the cc. I also plan to reduce my hours at work. I'm hoping the additional time will help in the fall, but I'm still concerned about the transfer.

Has anyone felt disadvantaged after transferring from a cc to a university? Is there a significant difference in course difficulty?

Thanks.

Edit:
I don't mean to discredit the instruction at my community college, because I have some great lecturers. I just feel like sometimes they don't test as rigorously as a university professor would.

Last edited:
Your community college courses done for credit may not adequately prepare you for EVERYTHING as you continue at the university, but what you lack we cannot say through the forum. What you lack depends on you, your C.C., your university. You must find out what is missing as you go.

1. How do I know if my credits from community college will transfer to a university?

Each university has its own transfer credit policies and requirements. It is important to research the specific requirements of the university you plan to transfer to. You can also speak with an academic advisor at your community college or the university to determine which credits will transfer.

2. Is there a difference in the application process for transferring to a university from community college?

Yes, the application process for transfer students may be different than that of incoming freshmen. You will need to submit transcripts from your community college, and some universities may also require additional materials such as essays or letters of recommendation. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each university.

3. Can I transfer to a university before completing my associate's degree at community college?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to a university before completing your associate's degree. However, you may need to complete additional credits at the university to meet their graduation requirements. It is important to check with the university to see if they have any specific requirements for transfer students.

4. How can I prepare for the academic rigor of a university after attending community college?

Community colleges often have smaller class sizes and a different teaching style compared to universities. It is important to start preparing for the academic rigor of a university while still in community college. This can include taking challenging courses, seeking out resources such as tutoring, and developing good study habits.

5. Are there any tips for adjusting to university life after transferring from community college?

Adjusting to a new university can be challenging, but there are some tips that can help make the transition smoother. These include getting involved in campus activities, seeking out academic support resources, and connecting with other transfer students. It is also important to communicate with your professors and academic advisors to ensure you are on track for graduation.