Is NH Always a Normal Subgroup of G When N and H Are Normal Subgroups?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bleys
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Normal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Bleys
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
There was an exercise in a book to prove that given N is a normal subgroup of a group G if H is also another normal subgroup of G the NH (the set of elements of the form nh for n in N and h in H) is a normal subgroup of G. That was all fine but I was wondering if the converse is true. Considering the exercise didn't ask to do this I'm guessing no, but I'm finding it hard to create a counter-example.
I'm trying to use the symmetric group. I thought that the alternating group [itex]A_{4}[/itex] could maybe be constructed from the Klein 4 group and another non-normal subgroup but I don't know how to show this, or if it's even true. Are there maybe simpler examples?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]H[/itex] is the klein-4 group, and [itex]N = <g>[/itex] where [itex]g\in A4\setminus H[/itex], then the product [itex]NH=A4[/itex] just based on index.