Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizers and normal subgroups.

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    If G is a group with subgroups H and K, and if H is normal, then HK=KH, right?...Since we know that N(H) = G. However, since H commutes with K, then H must also be contained in N(K), right?...Since N(K) is the set of elements that commute with K...but I was a bit confused, because we know that, for any subgroup M, GM=MG. So G must be contained in the normalizer of any subgroup, right? But that doesn't make sense, since the normalizer of any subgroup would then need to equal G and every subgroup would be normal...I know I'm probably missing something, but I'm not sure what. So I was wondering if anybody could clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't see why ##HK=KH## would imply that ##H\subseteq N(K)##.
    You seem to think that from ##HK=KH## follows that for each ##h\in H## holds that ##hK=Kh##. The latter seems like a much stronger statement.

The statement ##HK=KH## implies to me that for each ##h\in H## and ##k\in K##, there exists a ##h^\prime\in H## and ##k^\prime \in K## such that ##hk=k^\prime h^\prime##.

The statement ##H\subseteq N(K)## implies that for each ##h\in H## and ##k\in K##, there exists is a ##k^\prime \in K## such that ##hk=k^\prime h##. So this statement is the previous statement, but with the additional fact that ##h^\prime = h##. This seems like a much stronger statement to me.

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3
    Ok thanks, I didn't realize that...

5. Apr 29, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe it is true that the two statements are equivalent. I just said that it looks like a stronger statement to me, but stronger statements can sometimes be proven equivalent. To conclusively end this discussion, you should look for a example where ##HK=KH##, but where ##H## is not a subset of ##N(K)##. Try your favorite small, nonabelian groups and maybe you'll find one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook