Proof: Every Subgroup of Cyclic $H$ is Normal in $G$

Let's see. Hint:Suppose $N \subseteq H$ is a subgroup of $H$.Since $H = \langle a\rangle$ for some $a \in G$, it follows that:$N = \langle a^i\rangle$, for some integer $i$.Since $H \lhd G$, we have for any $g\in G$, that $ghg^{-1} \in H$, for any $h \in H$.In particular, $gag^{-1} = a^k$, for some $k$.Now use the fact that $ga^ig^{-1} = (gag^{-1})^i$.(Our goal is
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that if $H$ is a cylic normal subgroup of a group $G$, then each subgroup of $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$.

I have done the following:

Since $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$, we have that $$ghg^{-1}=h\in H, \ \forall g \in G \text{ and } \forall h\in H \tag 1$$

Since $H$ is cyclic, each subgroup of $H$ is also cyclic.

Let $\langle a\rangle$ be a subgroup of $H$.

Then $a\in \langle a\rangle \Rightarrow a\in H$.

From $(1)$ we have that $$gag^{-1}=a\in \langle a\rangle , \ \forall g\in G \text{ and } \forall a\in \langle a\rangle$$

Since the subgroup was arbitrary, we have that each subgroup of $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$. Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that if $H$ is a cylic normal subgroup of a group $G$, then each subgroup of $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$.

I have done the following:

Since $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$, we have that $$ghg^{-1}=h\in H, \ \forall g \in G \text{ and } \forall h\in H \tag 1$$

I don't think I would use the same symbol $a$ for the element in $\langle a\rangle$ as the element generating that subgroup. Try letting $b\in\langle a\rangle$. I think your idea is sound, though, and if you propagate this correction through your proof, I think it's fine.

Then $a\in \langle a\rangle \Rightarrow a\in H$.

From $(1)$ we have that $$gag^{-1}=a\in \langle a\rangle , \ \forall g\in G \text{ and } \forall a\in \langle a\rangle$$

Technically, the $\forall a\in\langle a\rangle$ is redundant, since $a$ is already an arbitrary element in the subgroup.

Since the subgroup was arbitrary, we have that each subgroup of $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$. Is everything correct? (Wondering)

So it should be as followed, shouldn't it? (Wondering) Since $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$, we have that $$ghg^{-1}=h\in H, \ \forall g \in G \text{ and } \forall h\in H \tag 1$$

Then for $b\in \langle a\rangle$ we have that $b\in H$.

From $(1)$ we have that $$gbg^{-1}=b\in \langle a\rangle , \ \forall g\in G \text{ and } \forall b\in \langle a\rangle$$

Since the subgroup was arbitrary, we have that each subgroup of $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$. Would the statement
mathmari said:
if $H$ is a cylic normal subgroup of a group $G$, then each subgroup of $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$
also stand when $H$ wouldn't be cyclic? (Wondering)

Since $H$ is a normal subgroup of $G$, we have that
$$ghg^{-1}=h\in H\,\forall g\in G\text{ and }\forall h\in H.$$

This says every element of $H$ commutes with every element of $G$ or $H\subseteq Z(G)$. You are given only that $H$ is normal in $G$. So if $H=<a>$ and $g\in G,\, gag^{-1}=a^k$ for some $k$. You should now be able to finish.

I assume your last question is that for any normal subgroup, is every subgroup also normal? That is, is normality a transitive relation. The answer is definitely no; you should be able to find an example.

johng said:
So if $H=<a>$ and $g\in G,\, gag^{-1}=a^k$ for some $k$. You should now be able to finish.

Having that $H=\langle a \rangle$, is every subgroup of $H$ of the form $\langle a^i\rangle$, for some $i$ ? (Wondering)

Hint:

Suppose $N \subseteq H$ is a subgroup of $H$.

Since $H = \langle a\rangle$ for some $a \in G$, it follows that:

$N = \langle a^i\rangle$, for some integer $i$.

Since $H \lhd G$, we have for any $g\in G$, that $ghg^{-1} \in H$, for any $h \in H$.

In particular, $gag^{-1} = a^k$, for some $k$.

Now use the fact that $ga^ig^{-1} = (gag^{-1})^i$.

(Our goal is to show that $ga^ig^{-1} \in \langle a^i\rangle$).

Deveno said:

We have the following:

$$ga^ig^{-1} = g\underset{i}{\underbrace{aa\cdots a a}}g^{-1}=g\underset{i}{\underbrace{ag^{-1}ga g^{-1}g\cdots g^{-1}ga g^{-1}ga}}g^{-1}=(gag^{-1})^i$$

right? (Wondering)
Deveno said:
Hint:

Since $H \lhd G$, we have for any $g\in G$, that $ghg^{-1} \in H$, for any $h \in H$.

So since $a\in H=\langle a\rangle$ we have that $gag^{-1} = a^k$, for some $k$.

We have the following: $$gag^{-1} = a^k \Rightarrow (gag^{-1})^i = (a^k)^i \Rightarrow ga^ig^{-1}=a^{ki} \Rightarrow ga^ig^{-1}=(a^i)^k \in \langle a^i\rangle$$

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have the following:

$$ga^ig^{-1} = g\underset{i}{\underbrace{aa\cdots a a}}g^{-1}=g\underset{i}{\underbrace{ag^{-1}ga g^{-1}g\cdots g^{-1}ga g^{-1}ga}}g^{-1}=(gag^{-1})^i$$

right? (Wondering)

We have the following: $$gag^{-1} = a^k \Rightarrow (gag^{-1})^i = (a^k)^i \Rightarrow ga^ig^{-1}=a^{ki} \Rightarrow ga^ig^{-1}=(a^i)^k \in \langle a^i\rangle$$

Looks good.

mathmari said:
Having that $H=\langle a \rangle$, is every subgroup of $H$ of the form $\langle a^i\rangle$, for some $i$ ? (Wondering)
Yes. This is same as saying that every subgroup of a cyclic group is a cyclic group.

Thank you so much! (Sun)

Deveno said:
Hint:

We have that $a^i$ is the generator of the subgroup $N=\langle a^i\rangle$.
Do we have to take the generator to show that $ga^ig^{-1} \in \langle a^i\rangle$ or could we have taken also an element of that cyclic group, for example $a^{im}$, so $ga^{im}g^{-1} \in \langle a^i\rangle$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have that $a^i$ is the generator of the subgroup $N=\langle a^i\rangle$.
Do we have to take the generator to show that $ga^ig^{-1} \in \langle a^i\rangle$ or could we have taken also an element of that cyclic group, for example $a^{im}$, so $ga^{im}g^{-1} \in \langle a^i\rangle$ ? (Wondering)

We could do either one.

Deveno said:
We could do either one.

So, would we do then the following? (Wondering)

We have the following: $$gag^{-1} = a^k \Rightarrow (gag^{-1})^{im} = (a^k)^{im} \Rightarrow ga^{im}g^{-1}=a^{kim} \Rightarrow ga^{im}g^{-1}=(a^i)^{km} \in \langle a^i\rangle$$

What does it mean for a subgroup to be normal in a group?

In group theory, a subgroup $H$ of a group $G$ is normal if and only if for every element $g \in G$, the conjugate $gHg^{-1}$ is also a subset of $H$. This means that the subgroup is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group.

What is a cyclic subgroup?

A cyclic subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is generated by a single element. In other words, every element in the cyclic subgroup can be written as a power or inverse power of that single element.

Why is it important to show that every subgroup of a cyclic group is normal?

This proof is important because it demonstrates a fundamental property of cyclic groups. It also helps to simplify the study of group theory by reducing the number of subgroups that need to be considered in certain situations. Additionally, it has applications in other areas of mathematics and science, such as in understanding symmetry and transformations.

What are some real-world examples of cyclic groups?

Cyclic groups can be found in many areas of mathematics and science, including number theory, geometry, and physics. Some real-world examples include the rotations of a regular polygon, the motion of a pendulum, and the behavior of electrons in an atom.

Are there any exceptions to the statement that every subgroup of a cyclic group is normal?

Yes, there are exceptions. For example, the trivial subgroup and the entire group itself are always normal in any group, including cyclic groups. Additionally, there are some non-cyclic groups that have only one subgroup, which would also be normal by default.