Is Number Theory the Black Sheep of Mathematics?

Do you like number theory

  • Yes

    Votes: 17 70.8%
  • No

    Votes: 7 29.2%

  • Total voters
    24
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 4K views
tgt
Messages
519
Reaction score
2
Anyone here who enjoys maths in general, dislikes number theory? If so why? Have a vote.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
I voted no. It's only a theory.
And it was responsible for the killing of about [itex]\sigma_m(n)[/itex] people, where m is the smallest odd prime and n is the smallest number for which [itex]\sigma(n)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi(n)[/itex] are squares...but then again, that's not a fact.
 
Hated it. I thought it was one of the worst math classes I ever took.
 
I like Number Theory, but not the application of it.
 
Because the HW and tests were stupid. It was basically here is the question, can you figure out the trick in order to get this question right? Once you figured out the "trick" the problem just fell apart. To me it didn't really seem like it took any step by step rationalization, it was just like the puzzle section in a Sunday newspaper.



BTW I took a grad class on number theory and passed it with an A (not trying to be pompous here), so I didn't hate number theory just because I wasn't good at it.
 
Then you hate the course which was given, it doesn't mean that as a field you don't like it.

Solving (trying to solve) an unsolved problem in number theory is quite hard, although most of the problems are stated in such a way that even elementary school children can understand.
 
gravenewworld said:
Because the HW and tests were stupid. It was basically here is the question, can you figure out the trick in order to get this question right? Once you figured out the "trick" the problem just fell apart. To me it didn't really seem like it took any step by step rationalization, it was just like the puzzle section in a Sunday newspaper.



BTW I took a grad class on number theory and passed it with an A (not trying to be pompous here), so I didn't hate number theory just because I wasn't good at it.


What was the course called? Was it even tricks in that grad class?
 
love it...i actually haven't gone into the full details ( not taken the course yet...) but really love it..
 
I'm lukewarm about number theory. On one hand I think it's a very rich field, on the other I find it to be one of the less ambitious and "childish" branch of math.
 
Werg22 said:
...I find it to be one of the less ambitious and "childish" branch of math.
One former Professor Hardy would be turning in his ivory tower grave if he heard that.