Is Pursuing a BSCS After a BSEE and MEngEE Worth It?

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
YoshiMoshi
Messages
233
Reaction score
10
Since I have gotten my BSEE, I have been working full time in the field and taking one course at a time towards a MEngEE, and will be done with the masters course work by the end of next year.

The company I work for will pay for the tuition if I were to continue going to school after the MEngEE, but only the tuition. So textbooks, and miscellaneous fees would be on me. My company will only support one degree at each level. Meaning I could pursue either a PHD or a BS with my companies financial support. Because I'd be working full time, I'm not so sure I could handle pursuing a PHD at the same time.

Would it be worth getting another BS, like in computer science? I would do it part time taking one class a time, with the tuition paid for by my company.

My company doesn't give out raises once you get another degree, so I would see no increase in my financial well being after getting the degree. But with the other degree I would have more credentials and could possibly qualify for other jobs and get a raise that way.

Do you think it's worth getting a BSCS after getting a BSEE and a MEngEE?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No I don't think it's worth anything. If your company is reputable, you should advance in title and salary as time progresses, as long as you put out good and timely work and show leadership skills. With both a BS and Meng, you are already in a good position.
 
Yea I understand, but I feel like if my company will pay for it, then why not? I know that second masters would be better, but I wouldn't have my company financing and it would come out of my pocket completely, and I don't have the funds to do that without financial support from my company. When I got a BSEE, I had enough credits for a math minor and one class away from a minor in computer science. So I was thinking I would have to get either a math or computer science degree. I'm thinking computer science would be better than math. If I recall correctly the computer science and electrical engineering were the same department.
 
The fact that the company will pay for another degree is not a reason to pursue one in your situation. You are simply seeking to take advantage of the company, without any real gain to either yourself or the company. I agree with PhanthomJay; it is not a good idea.
 
What if I did a math degree instead? Would that be better? I had enough credits to get a minor in math after I completed my BSEE degree. I think math is more applicable to electrical engineering than computer science, so that would benefit me and therefore the company?
 
What if you quit going to school and put your extra energy and creativity into doing your job or some other outlet? Why must you pursue a degree just because the company will pay for it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137