Is quantum entanglement unaffected by fields/forces?

In summary: The example you give does not, in fact, yield any "strange" results. Bell spoke of this too, the example is usually called Bertlsmann's socks.http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/142461/The issue is that the nature of an observation by Alice seems to affect the results Bob experiences. You don't notice that for identical tests (black and white, i.e. color pairs where the observation of one tells you the value of the other with 100% certainty. The strange part only arises when the outcome is expressed as a chance (25% or 75% or similar). As an example: 120 degrees (rather than 0 or 90
San K
Is quantum entanglement unaffected by fields/forces?

Forces = the, yet known, four fundamental forces

i.e. Is quantum entanglement "friction-less"?

Assumption: Anything that is effected by fields and forces can, at the most, interact/move at the speed of light.

Quantum entanglement "interactions" are thought to happen instantaneously.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently the only thing that affects a quantum entangled particle is the initial observation of one of the pairs, knowing one state of one pair instantly provides information about the state of the other entangled pair no matter where it is in the universe.

Frankly I've never found this to be impressive although I'm almost certainly missing an important point.

Putting the experiment into a macroscopic state its like pulling two differently coloured balls out of a bag and placing each one in a box, next the box is separated by some distance and somebody looks inside and instantly knows the colour of the ball in the other box no matter where it is.

I don't get it, what's the big deal?

QuantumHop said:
Frankly I've never found this to be impressive although I'm almost certainly missing an important point.

Putting the experiment into a macroscopic state its like pulling two differently coloured balls out of a bag and placing each one in a box, next the box is separated by some distance and somebody looks inside and instantly knows the colour of the ball in the other box no matter where it is.

The example you give does not, in fact, yield any "strange" results. Bell spoke of this too, the example is usually called Bertlsmann's socks.

http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/142461/

The issue is that the nature of an observation by Alice seems to affect the results Bob experiences. You don't notice that for identical tests (black and white, i.e. color pairs where the observation of one tells you the value of the other with 100% certainty. The strange part only arises when the outcome is expressed as a chance (25% or 75% or similar). As an example: 120 degrees (rather than 0 or 90 degrees).

QuantumHop said:
Apparently the only thing that affects a quantum entangled particle is the initial observation of one of the pairs, knowing one state of one pair instantly provides information about the state of the other entangled pair no matter where it is in the universe.

You are missing the point. There is always some uncertainty about characteristics of a quantum system. When these uncertainties become joint, people say the new system is entangled. Now you have uncertainties that can be spread over vast distances of space. This is nowhere close to a sock being somewhat red and somewhat blue depending on the other sock being less blue and more red. The socks analogy isn't a professional level treatment of the situation and is more suited to high school students finding out about it. Entanglement is not a classical phenomenon and can't be classically described or explained.

Last edited:
@ DrChinese & Maui

I posted this question here.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=629831

Knowing that the entangled state is broken by taking a measurement and that the particles then develop their own individual properties gives me a profoundly different view of quantum entanglement. As soon as that fact was pointed out I could see the strange properties.

1. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This connection is not affected by any external fields or forces acting on the particles.

2. Is quantum entanglement affected by gravity or electromagnetic forces?

No, quantum entanglement is not affected by any external forces or fields, including gravity and electromagnetic forces. This is because entanglement occurs at the subatomic level, where the laws of classical physics do not apply.

3. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While the entangled particles may appear to be communicating instantaneously, they cannot transmit information faster than the speed of light, which is a fundamental limit of the universe.

4. How is quantum entanglement used in quantum computing?

Quantum entanglement is a key component of quantum computing, as it allows for the creation of qubits (quantum bits) that can represent multiple states simultaneously. This allows for more complex calculations to be performed in a shorter amount of time compared to classical computing.

5. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday objects?

No, quantum entanglement is typically only observed in particles at the subatomic level. While some scientists have demonstrated entanglement in larger objects, it is not a common occurrence in everyday objects due to the delicate nature of maintaining entanglement.