Can quantum mechanics enable new energy sources beyond fission and fusion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Algr
Messages
949
Reaction score
497
While I am sure that knowledge of quantum mechanics is vital for getting fission and fusion reactors to work, I can't help noticing that the actual function of those reactors can be described purely with classical physics.

Are there any proposals for quantum reactions to unlock energy? Perhaps quantum teleporting a proton through an insulator and making its electron go through a circuit to follow it? Perhaps if you defined a proton's velocity precisely enough it would be unable to be within an atom, thus causing fission.

I found "Zero-point energy" but it doesn't look like something to replace coal any time soon.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum teleportation does NOT teleport an object. It correlates a particular property (state) of the object.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
Quantum teleportation does NOT teleport an object. It correlates a particular property (state) of the object.
Zz.

Sorry about the edit, I meant to say that those examples were not the important part of what I was asking. It just seems odd that what we know about QED doesn't seem to unlock any sources of energy.
 
So sorry QED does not meet your expectations.
 
Algr said:
It just seems odd that what we know about QED doesn't seem to unlock any sources of energy.
What about lasers?

Anyway, your question doesn't make sense. There are no "classical" or "quantum" energy sources, onlt classical or quantum models of energy sources. And QM enters a lot in the understanding of nuclear reactions.

Thread closed.