Is R^n x R^m Isomorphic to R^{n+m}?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter yifli
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
yifli
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Here is how I prove it:

Let [tex]\theta_1[/tex](resp.,[tex]\theta_2[/tex]) be the injection from [tex]R^m[/tex](resp.,[tex]R^n[/tex]) to [tex]R^{m+n}[/tex]

Since injection is an isomorphism, [tex]\theta_1[/tex]+[tex]\theta_2[/tex] is the isomorphism

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say isomorphic, do you mean does there exist a bijection between the sets? Or are you talking about ring or group isomorphism? I ask this because an isomorphism between sets is a group theory topic, but you posted in the calculus section.
 
yifli said:
Here is how I prove it:

Let [tex]\theta_1[/tex](resp.,[tex]\theta_2[/tex]) be the injection from [tex]R^m[/tex](resp.,[tex]R^n[/tex]) to [tex]R^{m+n}[/tex]

Since injection is an isomorphism, [tex]\theta_1[/tex]+[tex]\theta_2[/tex] is the isomorphism

Is this correct?

To be more clear, injection [tex]\theta[/tex]is a linear mapping from [tex]V_i[/tex] to [tex]\prod{V_i}[/tex] such that [tex]\theta(\alpha_j)[/tex]=[tex](0,...0,\alpha_j , 0,... ,0)[/tex]
 
Any 2 finite dimensional commutative vector spaces are naturally isomorphic with each other. A natural isomorphism is obtained by considering the map that sends the basis of one to the other