blackcat,
you may very well have been saved. I am a physician. Got there circuitously, and i was headed for what I perceived to be the best of both worlds--academic post with part time clinical/teaching duties//part time researcher. I still think it would be very fulfilling, but a daughter and divorce limited my geography and working at the local U was an unsavory prospect at best.
So I did what I thought I never would, (being a do-gooder and wanting to save the world), and opened shop as a private practitioner. Its been good, but the nature of private practice has changed dramatically. Basically HMO's stole the show ca 1985-1995, and now its more about productivity and saving $$ for the bean counters, so some CEO can make 10M/yr. Not a week goes by where I have to make some really distasteful concession to the powers that be. The average internist in such a system likely makes what a middle manager does. Many of my colleagues are rolling up their tents and either retiring or looking for other outlets. I'm fortunate because I chose psychiatry as a specialty, which is in huge relative demand, and can make enuf to live on working 2 to 3 days a week. No call, tho i wear a pager 24/7.
Now if in the upcoming year decide you have a passion for medicine, you might consider applying to an MD/PhD program but you'll need strong grades and test scores for that. Usually a 6 year gig. Beau coup opportunities w/in industry/academia. A good number of MD's did not get in first try.
Personally I would recommend a masters program, and see where you sit after a year or two. PM me if you like.
J