Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Routh Function a non-relativistic KK theory?

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1

arivero

Gold Member

I have just read a mention about a variant of Legendre transformation that instead of producing the Hamiltonian produces "Routh function", and that the some of this coordinates in this function are interpreted as extra coordinates producing the potential energy.

It sound very like Kaluza Klein, where the extra coordinates produce the force fields (and thus the potential energy). How valid is this analogy? Will KK theory produce Routh Theory in the non relativistic limit?

Generically, is there some modern information on this formalism?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean Routh's ignorable variables? If not please provide a reference ... I'm familiar with the removal of cyclic variables, but not the generation of extra variables.

4. Oct 20, 2013 #3

arivero

Gold Member

Yep, I think I mean that, ignorable variables. Regretly I have only seen, till now, the mention in Felix Klein "history of mathematics in the XIXth century".

5. Oct 20, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case the answer to your first question is "no".

The Routh procedure is usually taught in an advanced course in classical mechanics; you can find it in most advanced texts like Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics", or most other graduate texts.

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5

arivero

Gold Member

Thanks for the answer. Still... does Goldstein mention explicitly the idea of a "purely kinetic" theory to be obtained from Routh technique?

7. Oct 21, 2013 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't recall. When writing my monograph on analytical mechanics I decided to omit Routh as off the mainline of development.

Hertz did develop a purely kinetic theory ...at least he started it prior to his untimely death.

8. Oct 21, 2013 #7

arivero

Gold Member

Ok, thanks very much. I will try to follow these leads.

It is mostly a curiosity, but at least it tells that Kaluza was not doing a surprising move by using extra variables in his theory. People nowadays believes that extra dimensions are invented in string theory :-D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook