Is Skating in the Netherlands Still a National Pastime?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
Andre
Messages
4,296
Reaction score
73
In the 80-year war between Spain and the Dutch republic the Spanish were surprized by the Dutch miracoulously moving over the ice at great speed while they themselves struggled and falling on the slippery ice. Also there were the winter painters registering that unusual ability to move around on the ice on skates:

brueghelelderskatersbirdtrap.jpg


400-500 years later, not a lot has changed. This is what the Dutch do today (pictures made yesterday):

r89x8z.jpg


11l7vk1.jpg


2z3ovux.jpg


awaxj4.jpg


34o7tib.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually very cool (no pun intended, but noticed).
One week of sub-zero temperatures and the whole country is going mad :)
Even at the hint of thinking about prospects of an Elfstedentocht :)
 
That looks like some nice ice to skate on, it has been a while since I've had my ice skates on.
 
I don't do well on ice skates. The last time I had them on, the northern parts of the US got a feel for the southern parts of me.
 
What a lovely painting, and really nice photos. I enjoy skating very much, our rivers don't seem to freeze that smoothly.
 
Nobody noticing that the little girl in red is still at the same place after 500 years?
 
Borek said:
Nah, she looks much younger.


Right, her name is Dorianna Gray. :wink:
 
Do the painting and the photo depict the same geographical site? Hypatia: I don't think it is a river, but a canal (which would explain the smooth ice, together with the current absence of strong winds).
 
I never skated in The Netherlands, but I spent many hours skating in Iceland.
http://www.zamboni.com/movies/CNN_ICELAND.wmv
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Do the painting and the photo depict the same geographical site? Hypatia: I don't think it is a river, but a canal (which would explain the smooth ice, together with the current absence of strong winds).

It's not, Monique; It's De Dobbe in Zwolle, a big pond.
 
Andre said:
It's not, Monique; It's De Dobbe in Zwolle, a big pond.

I saw those pictures and i thought... that looks like Zwolle, but it can't be! I grew up there, don't live there anymore, though. Nice pictures.
 
Absolutely beautiful, the echos of the past come through so clear. Wonderful, really nice!