Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kosovo to become an independent nation

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Apparently next week, Kosovo, the small southern povince of Serbia is set to declare independence, which will become a reality if the EU and US recognize it.

Of course, Serbia and Russia disagree.

In Kosovo, it's 'Independence Eve'
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080216/ap_on_re_eu/kosovo_independence
    Certainly Russia's concern is based upon it's southern republics in the Caucuses - Dagestan, Osetiya, and Chechnya.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Russia's concern is also based on its wishes to stem US control and exert its own control over Europe, vis-a-vis the missile shield, NATO, and the two gas pipelines Putin and his old KGB buddies are shoving up Europe's behind. It's the lukewarm war :)
    The Balkans have been the backdrop for much bloodshed over history. Let's hope this is a step towards the calming of that region.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    That name “Bytyqi” reminds me of this oldie but goodie from The Onion:
    originally appeared in the ONION, Number One In News​

Dear mods, this is © but The Onion okayed it being reposted with the above citation as in the message from them at the bottom of this page. (This article is no longer on The Onion's site.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Feb 17, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Anyone else notice something interesting about the celebration pictures? They're waving American flags! How cool is that?

6. Feb 17, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...I've been completely unaware of developments there! What a surprise to me.

Years ago I knew a woman who was a video editor for a large Christian aid group. They would send in folks with video cameras to places that were reporting human rights violations. She would have to view all of it, as part of her job. She said that video of things she saw there was so horrible - "pure evil," as she put it.

I wish them all the best!

7. Feb 17, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Kosovo declares independence from Serbia
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080217/ap_on_re_eu/kosovo_independence

From US Declaration of Independence -

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Serbia brutilized the people of Kosovo, and in doing so forfeits any rights and privileges to Kosovo!

8. Feb 17, 2008 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member

The Balkans have had an incredibly violent history over the last thousand years. The Serbs have just been the latest to be caught in a time when it's no longer easy to hide that you've to commit genocide.

I have never, to my knowledge, met an Albanian. But I have met many Serbs over the last 10 years. They're hatred of Albanian's has no counterpart in America. Fareed Zakaria once said something to the effect that 9/11 brought the old world angst to America. We were pissed when it happened. At least I was. Imagine if that had happened a long time ago and set off a tit for tat feud that went on for centuries.

I can confirm that the following quote from your link is probably how most Serbs on the planet view the independence of Kosovo:
    some telling numbers:
    Which implies that there are about 200,000 Serbs left in Kosovo.

Which along with this map:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7249034.stm#map

kind of indicates what I've been getting at; these people hate each other, and do not appear willing to live along side of each other.

Check out their neighboring country Macedonia:
    Where on earth am I going with all this?
    I would say, that after listening to the Serb side of the story for quite some time, and researching the Albanian side, trust nothing anyone says about this region. Neither side has any respect for life outside of their own ethnic group. One day we were discussing favorite movies, and one of the Serbs got almost giddy when he said that he loved "The Godfather". Knowing what I knew, in a sad kind of way, it made perfect sense.

9. Feb 18, 2008 #8
    By the way, go Lakota nation‼

10. Feb 18, 2008 #9

Astronuc

11. Feb 18, 2008 #10
    What I'm saying is, hopefully they won't get run down and shot by the U.S. Army or besieged by the FBI like has happened every previous time in the last couple of centuries. It seemed apropos next to your description of Serbia's treatment of Kosovo.

12. Feb 21, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Feb 21, 2008 #12
    I just found out about this too. Did the Lakotas know this was going to happen? What perfect timing for them. If I was a Serbian I would say, “We'll let Kosovo go if you let the Pine Ridge Reservation and the others become separate nations within the U.S.” The Lakotas ought to get in touch with Serbia.

Not that the Serbians would really want to call the U.S.'s bluff, I've been to Pine Ridge and it's more like poor parts of Mexico than anywhere I've been in the U.S. - Kosovo is undoubtedly much more valuable economically to Serbia.

14. Feb 21, 2008 #13

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

US Embassy in Serbia Stormed and Burned

This could just be the beginning...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331695,00.html

15. Feb 21, 2008 #14
    I hear that the Kosovars just assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria!

(For the mods' sake so I'm not suspected of spreading misinformation - I'm just kidding, that's how World War I started in Serbia.)

16. Feb 22, 2008 #15
    The US recognises Kosovo, I wonder if they will recognise an independent Vermont as well?

17. Feb 22, 2008 #16

Art

To be fair to Serbians they were bombed by the US and the rest of Nato and now a large chunk of their territory has been taken away. It is understandable feelings are running high.

If the international will was to create an independent Kosovo then a fairer way of doing this would have been to leave those provinces bordering Serbia with large Serbian majorities in Serbian control.

Although in the recent conflict most of the atrocities may have been committed by Serbs given the means and the opportunity the Albanians have shown themselves quite capable of equal brutality such as when they supported the Axis forces during WW2.

As it is this imposed solution will lead to conflict between Albanians and Serbs for another 100 years :frown:

18. Feb 22, 2008 #17

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Absolutely. This could be the first of many incidents.

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=97107

What will NATO do if (or when) Russia decides to throw in with the Serbs and station their troops inside Serbia? Would Russia lend/lease the materiel needed to reclaim Kosovo? It's a real possibility.

19. Feb 22, 2008 #18
    Not only that fourier jr, but the Lakota, a Native American group and subgroup of the Sioux who live on a variety of reservations in the West, just in the last few months began organizing to declare independence.

20. Feb 22, 2008 #19
    Kosovo means a great deal to the Serbian people. I doubt that this is going to end well.

21. Feb 22, 2008 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, it's likely we'll be stationing troops there for a long time... like a hundred years! Maybe McCain just had the wrong Islamic country in mind when he made that hundred years comment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?