Is someone out here able to help me name these compounds?

• Thread starter almar_96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, a mechanical engineer has been assigned to test bio-lubricants but the person who assigned the tests backed off, leaving the engineer with no clear idea of what was tested. The engineer's knowledge of organic chemistry is limited, and they are struggling to find the scientific nomenclature and processes for the compounds they tested. The compounds in question are a polyester obtained from fatty acids of sunflower oil and polyglycerol, and an amide obtained from fatty acids of sunflower oil and diethanolamine. The engineer is also facing difficulties due to the variability of sunflower oil and its degradation when used for cooking. They are seeking help from others to determine the source and content of the sunflower oil used in the tests
almar_96
TL;DR Summary
What is the "official" chemical nomenclature for:
1) a polyester obtained from fatty acids of sunflower oil and polyglycerol
2) an amide obtained from fatty acids of sunflower oil and diethanolamine
I'm a mechanical engineer, and I've been assigned to test a series of bio-lubricants. The problem is, the person by whom I was assigned those tests backd off from our collaboration, and we were supposed to write a paper together. The tests are done, my time was wasted and here comes the problem: I have no clear idea of what exactly did I test!

All I know is that, during our discussions, they briefly mentioned that one of the lubricants was, quote "a polyester obtained from fatty acids of sunflower oil and polyglycerol", while the other was "an amide obtained from fatty acids of sunflower oil and diethanolamine".

Being a mechanical engineer, my knowledge of organic chemistry is very limited (our curriculum included only 1 semester of inorganic chemistry). I don't know how to name these compounds! I tried searching the web, and depending on how I rephrased my words, I got various results of different compounds. For instance, if I typed "polyglycerol ester of fatty acids", I got as results a powder. The substances I tested were in a liquid state of aggregation.

Could someone be kind and tell me what is the "scientific nomenclature" of these compounds? English is not even my 1st language, so this made matters even harder. Also, a few words about the processes through which they are obtained would come in very handy!

Thank you in advance! Any answer or suggestion is very welcomed!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Biology of foods is not that simple.

You have a problem - sunflower oil is not just one fatty acid. And the way the plants are cultivated and expressed, the oil content varies a LOT from sample to sample (see the comment about the distributor below) :
Sunflower oil contains approximately 15% saturated, 85% unsaturated fatty acid and consisting of 14–43% oleic and 44–75% linoleic acids in its unsaturated fatty acid content.
-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5976617/
Oleic acid (18:1 cis 9 "omega-9") and linoleic acid (18:2 cis 9,12 "omega 6") are the most common fatty acids.

This is a list of all of the fatty acids, note the report assumes a lot of refining which tends to reduce variability in oils sold in grocery stores.:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1750349/nutrients

The names of the acids are in "nutrition speak", e.g., SFA 4:0 means four carbon Saturated Fatty Acid

You need to verify the source of the sunflower oil used - but it is going to be approximate as to acid ratios.
The distributor knows because high volume contract bakeries are really picky about oils they use. Get the lot number off the label and contact the distributor directly.

Likes almar_96
jim mcnamara said:
Biology of foods is not that simple.

You have a problem - sunflower oil is not just one fatty acid. And the way the plants are cultivated and expressed, the oil content varies a LOT from sample to sample (see the comment about the distributor below) :

-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5976617/
Oleic acid (18:1 cis 9 "omega-9") and linoleic acid (18:2 cis 9,12 "omega 6") are the most common fatty acids.

This is a list of all of the fatty acids, note the report assumes a lot of refining which tends to reduce variability in oils sold in grocery stores.:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1750349/nutrients

The names of the acids are in "nutrition speak", e.g., SFA 4:0 means four carbon Saturated Fatty Acid

You need to verify the source of the sunflower oil used - but it is going to be approximate as to acid ratios.
The distributor knows because high volume contract bakeries are really picky about oils they use. Get the lot number off the label and contact the distributor directly.
Thank you for your answer! It gave me, at least, a starting point! As for the nature of the sunflower oil, I've been told it is waste cooking oil.

One comment - eeeek! Nobody knows the content exactly because unsaturated oils are degraded by cooking temperatures. What you want is not feasible, in any practical low cost way. In other words a small portion of the oils have partially "morphed" into a long list of other things, try a search on "biodiesel".

Likes Bystander and almar_96
jim mcnamara said:
One comment - eeeek! Nobody knows the content exactly because unsaturated oils are degraded by cooking temperatures. What you want is not feasible, in any practical low cost way. In other words a small portion of the oils have partially "morphed" into a long list of other things, try a search on "biodiesel".
Your insight really helped a lot! I've been posting about this issue of mine on several forums, without any luck. So far, your intervention has offered me the most information, so thank you very much for taking the time to answer!

Likes jim mcnamara and BillTre

1. What is the process for naming compounds?

The process for naming compounds involves identifying the elements present in the compound and their respective charges, determining the type of compound (ionic or covalent), and following specific naming rules based on the type of compound. It is also important to consider any prefixes or suffixes that may be present in the compound's name.

2. Can you give an example of how to name a compound?

Sure, let's take the compound NaCl as an example. NaCl is an ionic compound composed of sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl). The naming rules for ionic compounds state that the cation (positive ion) is named first, followed by the anion (negative ion). In this case, the cation is sodium and the anion is chlorine. Therefore, the compound is named sodium chloride.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when naming compounds?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the correct prefixes or suffixes in the compound's name. Another mistake is using the incorrect charges for the elements present in the compound. It is also important to double check the spelling of the elements in the compound's name.

4. Are there any exceptions to the naming rules for compounds?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the naming rules for compounds. For example, some transition metals can have multiple charges, so Roman numerals are used to indicate the charge in the compound's name. Additionally, some compounds have common names that are used instead of following the standard naming rules.

5. Is there a specific order in which elements should be listed in a compound's name?

Yes, there is a specific order for listing elements in a compound's name. In general, the element with the lower electronegativity (the ability to attract electrons) is listed first, followed by the element with the higher electronegativity. However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as when naming acids or when the compound contains a polyatomic ion.