Is space itself quantized?

In summary, space might be quantized. This has strange consequences for the behavior of particles at the quantum scale. It is possible that the "light speed" we experience is just the effect of two nearby space points interacting.
kolkmvd
Hi,

Unfortunately I am not actively involved in physics anymore since high school, but still very interested in the matter. Something has been on my mind for a while and I could not find a answer to this on the internet. But maybe that's because I don't know the right way to look for it, or maybe it is just too complex for me. But my question is:

Has anyone theorized whether space itself is quantized?

I mean: if there would be something like a "minimum distance" of for instance the Planck length divided by some considerable constant, this would have funny consequences for the interactions of particles at quantum scale.

I think this idea might have other possible consequences:

- having a quantized space would mean particles cannot be at every position

- quantized space would also imply quantized time, because for a new state of the reality to exist, something has to change, otherwise it would go undetected.

- 'light speed' is just the effect we see of this quantisation, as it is the interaction of two (or more) nearby 'space points'.

I got triggered to this by http://www.nature.com/news/theoretical-physics-the-origins-of-space-and-time-1.13613 and I think the idea matches 'Causal dynamical triagulations' best, but that concept deals not with quantization.

I wish I'd started a carreer in physics to understand the matter better, but maybe someone on this forums is will to give some comments on this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks quite similar!

kolkmvd said:
- having a quantized space would mean particles cannot be at every position
Why not?

Energy levels are quantised and there is no reason particles cannot exist in a superposition of more than one energy level! This browser window exists on my quantized computer screen and occupies more than one pixel.

kolkmvd said:
- quantized space would also imply quantized time, because for a new state of the reality to exist, something has to change, otherwise it would go undetected.

You should be careful to distinguish between quantized space and a quantization of the field values at each point in space. I can give you an example of quantized space but continuous time:

Two points in space, x1 and x2. Let a particle's location in this quantized space be defined by f(x1,x2) = (1-t)*x1 + (t)*x2. As t evolves, continuously, from 0 to 1, the particle moves smoothly from x1 to x2. But it never occupies anywhere else but the two discrete points. Space is quantized but time is not!

mikeph said:
Two points in space, x1 and x2. Let a particle's location in this quantized space be defined by f(x1,x2) = (1-t)*x1 + (t)*x2. As t evolves, continuously, from 0 to 1, the particle moves smoothly from x1 to x2. But it never occupies anywhere else but the two discrete points. Space is quantized but time is not!

I think you're wading in deep water here. What happens to your example in the limit as t -> 0? In that case space is not quantized. If you say, well t can never be EXACTLY zero, then you're saying that time is quantized. I agree that quantized space implies quantized time based on your own example.

Space and time are tied together in relativity, so if one if quantized, the other almost certainly is. But, as far as I know, there's no evidence currently of spacetime quantization, and in general relativity and quantum field theory, space and time are continuous.

Energy levels are easy to determine and there are numerous rationales as to why particular energies are favoured and thus quantized. There is no equivent ease for measuring ultra small regions of space in order to detect (plank particle sized or worse) granules of vacuum. Doubtless if Zeno were alive today he would disagree.

Is space itself quantized?

This is a commonly asked question in the field of physics and cosmology. The answer is not yet definitive, as it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

What does it mean for space to be quantized?

In simple terms, quantization refers to the idea that space is not continuous, but rather made up of discrete units or "chunks". This means that space is not infinitely divisible, but rather has a minimum measurable unit.

What evidence is there for quantized space?

There is currently no direct evidence for quantized space, but there are some theories and experiments that suggest it may be possible. One example is the Planck length, which is considered by some to be the smallest possible length in the universe.

How does quantized space relate to other theories, such as string theory?

Quantized space is often discussed in relation to other theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. These theories propose that space is made up of tiny, vibrating strings or loops, which would support the idea of quantized space.

What are the implications of a quantized space for our understanding of the universe?

If space is indeed quantized, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could potentially help explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, and could also provide insights into the nature of gravity and the fabric of spacetime.