Is Taking a Semester Off or Becoming a Part-Time Student the Best Choice for Me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Semester
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Benzoate
Messages
420
Reaction score
0
Is it wise to carry out such a decision? My grades have been average right now. I do not want to end up repeating a lot of courses again and having them on my transcripts. In addition there are a ton of electives I would like to get out of the way so I can just have a semester to take my core physics courses. I'm in a dillemma. I don't want to dropped out of college, I just need some time off to get organized and focus oriented.

The other option I am considering is becoming a part time student so I can just focused on electives for an entire semester and then focus on physics courses for another semester. I would like to hear recommendations from students who have decided to become a part time student temporarily or decided to work full time for awhile and after some time passed decided to finishing completing their degree. recommendations from students who have not taken this route I am considering implementing are welcomed as well.

Also , if I decided to become a part time student temporarily, will most professors allow me to do part time research
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you spend your time off doing something productive- lab research, paid intership, something, anything relevant to your career goals, then taking a semester off can actually work in your favor.