Application to Grad School With a BAD Semester

In summary, the person recently discovered a bad semester they had taken almost 10 years ago, which resulted in a 0.00 GPA. They were embarrassed and worried about how grad schools would view this fluke, but they have since improved and have a 3.7 cumulative GPA. They are concerned about how this will affect their grad school application, but it is likely not a major issue and their overall academic performance and other factors will still make them a strong candidate.
Rhun
So here’s the deal. I recently discovered about a semester I “took” nearly 10 years ago. I forgot that I even enrolled for classes because I decided college wasn’t for me at the time (I was just out of high school) and it was my first semester. I wasn’t aware of “officially dropping” your courses so I have three E’s which resulted in a 0.00 GPA for that semester. The classes were intro to psychology course, intro to sociology and intro to writing. 9 credit hours. I didn’t even really take my first semester until I was 22, four years later.

No funny business.. how will grad schools look at that fluke of a semester? I have a 3.7 cumulative GPA now. To be frank, I’m utterly embarrassed about this and don’t really know how to address it as I’ve always been proud of my school work but this is a great mar on my pride. Perhaps I’m overreacting, but I am worried sick.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rhun said:
So here’s the deal. I recently discovered about a semester I “took” nearly 10 years ago. I forgot that I even enrolled for classes because I decided college wasn’t for me at the time (I was just out of high school) and it was my first semester. I wasn’t aware of “officially dropping” your courses so I have three E’s which resulted in a 0.00 GPA for that semester. The classes were and intro to psychology course, and intro to sociology and an intro to writing. 9 credit hours. I didn’t even really take my first semester until I was 22, four years later.

No funny business.. how will grad schools look at that fluke of a semester? I have a 3.7 cumulative GPA now. To be frank, I’m utterly embarrassed about this and don’t really know how to address it as I’ve always been proud of my school work but this is a great mar on my pride. Perhaps I’m overreacting, but I am worried sick.
Your bad work as you described among other of your college work, was done very early and then you were fine , even better than "fine" on average for the rest of your college career. Not much problem. You earned an undergrad degree in something right? You have a very good grade average, right? Your first and bad semester will in all best guess, be insignificant.

Likes Augustine Ivon
I think your application will be just as strong, perhaps even stronger, than most others with a comparable GPA, GRE scores, research, and recommendations.

If one is going to have a tanked semester, the further in the past it is, the better. You can rest easy. Now, getting into top schools may not be a cakewalk, but getting into grad school is likely not a problem.

Likes Augustine Ivon

1. How will a bad semester affect my chances of getting into grad school?

A bad semester can certainly have a negative impact on your grad school application, as it may raise concerns about your academic abilities and commitment to your studies. However, it is not necessarily a deal-breaker. Admissions committees will also take into consideration your overall academic record, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.

2. Should I address the bad semester in my application?

It is generally recommended to address a bad semester in your application, especially if there were extenuating circumstances that led to it. This shows self-awareness and honesty, and allows you to explain any challenges you may have faced and how you have overcome them. However, make sure to focus on the steps you have taken to improve and how you have grown from the experience.

3. Will retaking courses from the bad semester improve my chances?

Retaking courses from a bad semester can certainly demonstrate your determination to improve and your commitment to your academic success. However, it is important to also focus on doing well in your other courses and showcasing your strengths in other areas of your application.

4. Can strong letters of recommendation outweigh a bad semester?

Strong letters of recommendation can certainly help offset a bad semester, as they provide insight into your character, work ethic, and potential for success in graduate school. However, it is important to also show improvement in your academic performance and address the bad semester in your personal statement.

5. Are there any alternative options for addressing a bad semester in my application?

If you are concerned about the impact of a bad semester on your application, you may want to consider reaching out to the admissions committee or program director to explain your situation. This can help provide context and show your determination to succeed in graduate school. Additionally, you may want to consider retaking the GRE or other standardized tests to demonstrate your academic abilities.