Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is that a real scientific journal? Look carefully!

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Is that a "real" scientific journal? Look carefully!

Article in today's New York Times about the increasing number of open-access scientific journals, some or many of which have questionable legitimacy:

Scientific Articles Accepted (Personal Checks, Too)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get emails about every other week from various fake journals about a "call for papers". A big tipoff is when they address me as Professor. lol

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4
    I never trusted open access journals outside of arxiv. I usually go through aps as I was able to obtain free subscriptions to research papers because of my student status etcetera. Otherwise, google scholar is a good tool to use for your research as well as readcube that compiles a bunch of credible research articles related to certain topics that you would like to know more about.

I use readcube more often than any other engine as I tend to get more information if I go that route. All in all, I'd tread along the "open-access" a bit carefully.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook