Is the 2006 edition of The Elegant Universe DVD worth the extra features?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter liamgibbs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
liamgibbs
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I apologize if this is in the wrong subsection, but I figured it was a physics learning material.

Anyway, I've been reading the Elegant Universe, but found the Nova series quite helpful in understanding what the book is talking about. (I actually read part of the book, got confused, watched the series, and then went back to the book--helped clear a lot up).

I've been looking to buy the DVD set, but there are two editions: one from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000ZG0TA/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and one from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C8STPI/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I don't know which one is more complete (which has more interviews/extras, etc). I've checked out Amazon, but haven't found any comparison in the DVD details (there's no running time, though it gives a good run-through of the chapters). IMDB gives a running time, and the 2006 one has a lot more, but then on Wikipedia, it describes an interpretive dance (?), and I'm wondering if this is the 2006 edition. Anyway, is there any recommendation? Does the 2006 edition miss anything that the 2004 edition has?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
All I can remember from it is Brian Greene is obsessed with himself and duplicates his body in every scene about 17 times lol. I would go with the 2006 if your not sure.
 
Brian Greene's Elegant Universe. Very interesting discussion in the beginning with Newton's bucket. After that, crap.

This is the book though, the movie I didn't make it past five minutes.
 
I want to see Brian do interpretive dance. :-p
 
Evo said:
I want to see Brian do interpretive dance. :-p

he'd probably enjoy himself...
 
I mean look, the guy is on to something...Anyone heard of Gemunu Gunaratne? Probably not. He's just a run-of-the-mill physics professor. Brian Greene, however, has learned that you need to add LIFE and SPIRIT to what you're doing to be "famous" and make a name for yourself. You have to stand out.
Look at all of the ones that stand out:
Brian Greene, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, Brian Cox. You've heard of them. They write books. They make more MONEY.
Sure, Brian Greene may be a shameless self promoter, but he probably rakes in a good chunk of change!