Is the Angle Depiction in the Rainbow Diagram Accurate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whyonlyme
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure Rainbow
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
whyonlyme
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Is rainbow figure correct ??

Homework Statement



It's a basic principle that why we see rainbow. I've described information in my attachment.
That figure is given by my teacher, he says to find out mistake in it.

My attempts

I think angles on horizontal lines are incorrect, will anyone explain how I tell it to my teacher ?
 
Attachments
  • Rainbow.jpg
    Rainbow.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org


whyonlyme said:

Homework Statement



It's a basic principle that why we see rainbow. I've described information in my attachment.
That figure is given by my teacher, he says to find out mistake in it.

My attempts

I think angles on horizontal lines are incorrect, will anyone explain how I tell it to my teacher ?

One thing - if you look up a picture of a rainbow - especially a double rainbow - you will notice that the order of colours is reversed in one compared to the other.

That feature is NOT shown in the diagram you included.
 


Try to trace the light rays - both the blue and the red ones- inside the water drop. You will see then what is wrong with your teacher's drawing.

ehild
 


PeterO said:
One thing - if you look up a picture of a rainbow - especially a double rainbow - you will notice that the order of colours is reversed in one compared to the other.

That feature is NOT shown in the diagram you included.
Yes it is.
 
See http://wiki.pingry.org/u/physics/index.php/Rainbows,_Reflection,_and_Refraction
Which angle is really larger in the drawing of your teacher?

ehild
 
Last edited: