Is the CO3(2-) carbonate ion polar or nonpolar?

  • Thread starter Thread starter needhelpperson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 108K views
needhelpperson
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Is the CO3(2-) carbonate ion polar or nonpolar? I know its a triagonal planar but it also has the double bond. please help.
 
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The double bond is delocalized through its three resonance contributors, so I presume the molecule is nonpolar; the charge central is identical with the weight central (I don't know how to say these in English).

If there is an error, I'll correct though.
 
I believe you are correct. All three bonds are actually of order 1.3333, rather than one bond being of order 2 and the others of order 1. This makes it a symetrical planar molecule, meaning it's nonpolar.