1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the decay constant , constant for all isotopes of element

1. Jan 24, 2015 #1
    I have this true and false question:

" The half life and therefore the decay constant will be the same for every isotope
    a) True
    b) False
    c) only if it is an isotope of the same element
    "

I think this is false, just by intuition.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But you need more than just intuition... how could you check if all isotopes of the same element have the same decay constant?
    For instance - can a stable element have radioactive isotopes?

4. Jan 25, 2015 #3
    Yes they can, I know there is Tritium , an unstable isotope of the stable element Hydrogen.

To check, we can place two samples in a container and monitor their loss of matter, and it should be equal?

5. Jan 25, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Very good... so what is the decay constant for hydrogen?

6. Jan 25, 2015 #5
    I read that Tritium has half life of 13.2 years, where as deuterium has a halflife of 10.3 minutes. Thank you :)

7. Jan 25, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Even if you didn't know those values, you know that tritium decays and hydrogen does not, so the decay constant for hydrogen (half-life infinity) is not the same as for tritium (half-life finite). This is how you can get needed conclusions from incomplete information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted