Is the decay constant , constant for all isotopes of element

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
CivilSigma
Messages
227
Reaction score
58
I have this true and false question:

" The half life and therefore the decay constant will be the same for every isotope
a) True
b) False
c) only if it is an isotope of the same element
"

I think this is false, just by intuition.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
But you need more than just intuition... how could you check if all isotopes of the same element have the same decay constant?
For instance - can a stable element have radioactive isotopes?
 
Yes they can, I know there is Tritium , an unstable isotope of the stable element Hydrogen.

To check, we can place two samples in a container and monitor their loss of matter, and it should be equal?
 
I read that Tritium has half life of 13.2 years, where as deuterium has a halflife of 10.3 minutes. Thank you :)
 
Even if you didn't know those values, you know that tritium decays and hydrogen does not, so the decay constant for hydrogen (half-life infinity) is not the same as for tritium (half-life finite). This is how you can get needed conclusions from incomplete information.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CivilSigma