Is the Degree of Q(a) Over Q Correctly Understood?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ad123q
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree Fields
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Ad123q
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I'm not sure if my reasoning below is correct or not.

If a=e[itex]\stackrel{\underline{2πi}}{5}[/itex], then Q(a) = {r + sa + ta2 + ua3 +va4 : r,s,t,u,v [itex]\in[/itex] Q} . [Is this correct?]

Then [Q(a):Q] = 5 as {1, a, a2, a3, a4} form a basis for Q(a) as a vector space over Q.

However I am not sure if my reasoning above is correct as I have just seen a proof that [Q(a):Q] = 4 for the same a above.

Thanks for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ad123q said:
I'm not sure if my reasoning below is correct or not.

If a=e[itex]\stackrel{\underline{2πi}}{5}[/itex], then Q(a) = {r + sa + ta2 + ua3 +va4 : r,s,t,u,v [itex]\in[/itex] Q} . [Is this correct?]


*** No, because [itex]\deg_{\mathbb Q}\mathbb Q(a)=\phi(5)=4[/itex] , so any basis has only 4 elements and not 5, as you wrote.

The minimal pol. of [itex]a[/itex] over the rationals is [itex]x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1[/itex] .

DonAntonio

Then [Q(a):Q] = 5 as {1, a, a2, a3, a4} form a basis for Q(a) as a vector space over Q.

However I am not sure if my reasoning above is correct as I have just seen a proof that [Q(a):Q] = 4 for the same a above.

Thanks for your help.

...