Is the Equation Ax=w Consistent for A in M4,3 and w as v1+v2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ykaire
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ykaire
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
1. Let A∈ Μ4,3
(that is, a 4 x 3 matrix). Let v1, v2 ∈ R^4 and let w = v1 +v2. Suppose there exists u1, u2 as an element of R^3 such that v1 = Au1 and v2= Au2
prove the Ax=w is consistent

Homework Equations


3.i honestly don't know if I'm doing this correctly at all, but this is what I have done so far:
Ax=w where A is a 4x3 matrix.
Ax=v1 + v2
Ax=Au1 + Au2
then i don't know what to do.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ykaire said:
1. Let A∈ Μ4,3
(that is, a 4 x 3 matrix). Let v1, v2 ∈ R^4 and let w = v1 +v2. Suppose there exists u1, u2 as an element of R^3 such that v1 = Au1 and v2= Au2
prove the Ax=w is consistent

Homework Equations


3.i honestly don't know if I'm doing this correctly at all, but this is what I have done so far:
Ax=w where A is a 4x3 matrix.
Ax=v1 + v2
Ax=Au1 + Au2
then i don't know what to do.

Well, can you write [itex]Au_1 + Au_2[/itex] another way?
 
jbunniii said:
Well, can you write [itex]Au_1 + Au_2[/itex] another way?

I guess I could write the equation as

x= u1 + u2

but, like i said, i don't even know if i even started the problem off correctly.
 
HallsofIvy said:
Well, what is Ax= A(u1+ u2)?

it reduces to x= u1 + u2