Is the Equation P(A' U B) = P(B) + P(A' U B') Correct in S1 Statistics?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Googl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probabilities
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Googl
Messages
111
Reaction score
1
Hi all,

Could you confirm this for me please. I am revising S1 statistics.

[tex]P(A' u B) = P(B) + P(A' u B')[/tex]

Is that true?

I assume you can represent that on a venn diagram. Is that true.

I am having trouble understanding the equations which contain ' such as P(A' n B).

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Googl said:
Hi all,

Could you confirm this for me please. I am revising S1 statistics.

[tex]P(A' u B) = P(B) + P(A' u B')[/tex]

Is that true?

I assume you can represent that on a venn diagram. Is that true.

I am having trouble understanding the equations which contain ' such as P(A' n B).

Thank you.
The equation is correct, except for A'uB', which should be A'nB'.
If you want to make a Venn diagram, I suggest that you let C = A'.
CuB = B + CnB' (disjoint jets). You may be more comfortable using CnB' = C-B.