Is the equation(s) in this photo legitimate?

• Thread starter aziluth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, the conversation discusses a photo of equations that supposedly reflect the thoughts of a man who committed a mass shooting. The equations are a combination of 1 dimensional wave equations, special relativity, and quantum mechanics, but are ultimately deemed to be a spoof.
aziluth
I am an undergraduate student beginning my journey to be a physicist. On that basis, things like this intrigue me even though I can't read it. Is the equation(s) in this photo legitimate? If so, what do they mean?

If you are unfamiliar with this man, he is currently in prison for barraging a theater crowd with automatic weapon fire during the premier of the movie, The Dark Knight. Later, after being arrested, he was sent to court where he claimed to not understand why he was there facing murder charges.

Attachments

• 386953_417331694999575_1891926259_n.jpg
    386953_417331694999575_1891926259_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
aziluth said:
I am an undergraduate student beginning my journey to be a physicist. On that basis, things like this intrigue me even though I can't read it. Is the equation(s) in this photo legitimate? If so, what do they mean?

If you are unfamiliar with this man, he is currently in prison for barraging a theater crowd with automatic weapon fire during the premier of the movie, The Dark Knight. Later, after being arrested, he was sent to court where he claimed to not understand why he was there facing murder charges.
So someone just made this up and posted the guys picture?

Evo said:
So someone just made this up and posted the guys picture?

Yes, as far as I know.

The first line is the 1 dimensional wave equation followed by one of its solution, namely the electrical part of a plane wave.
In the middle there seem to be a bit of special relativity related equations and as Astronuc said the last part the equations are quantum mechanics related (Schrödinger's).

1. What is the equation(s) in the photo?

The equation(s) in the photo is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two or more variables. It can be used to solve problems and make predictions in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. How do I know if the equation(s) is legitimate?

To determine if the equation(s) in the photo is legitimate, you can check if it follows the rules and principles of the specific branch of mathematics or science it belongs to. You can also verify if it has been peer-reviewed and published in a reputable scientific journal.

3. Can I use the equation(s) in my own research?

If the equation(s) in the photo is legitimate, you can use it in your own research as long as you properly cite the source and give credit to the original author. However, if you are not sure about the legitimacy of the equation(s), it is best to consult with a subject matter expert.

4. Are there any limitations to the equation(s) in the photo?

Most equations have limitations as they are simplifications of complex phenomena. It is important to understand the assumptions and conditions under which the equation(s) can be applied. In some cases, the equation(s) may only be valid within a certain range of values for the variables.

5. Can the equation(s) in the photo be modified or improved upon?

Yes, equations are constantly being refined and improved upon as new research and data become available. Scientists often modify existing equations or develop new ones to better explain and predict natural phenomena. However, any modifications must be rigorously tested and validated before being accepted as legitimate.

Back