1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the following semiconductor n-type or p-type?

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the carrier density and mobility of a semiconductor with a Hall coefficient of ##R_{Hall} = 7*10^{-5} m^3C^{-1}## and a conductivity ##\sigma = 200 (\Omega m)^{-1}##. Is the semiconductor n-type or p-type?

2. Relevant equations

##R_{Hall}=\frac{1}{ne}##
    ##\sigma=ne\mu_e + pe\mu_h##

3. The attempt at a solution

Given the request at hand, and going by many of the examples given in lectures, I figured the conductivity can be simplified to ##\sigma = 2ne\mu##, then from the given information I can use the ##R_{Hall}## equation to find ##n## then sub into the ##\sigma## equation and rearrange to find ##\mu##.

Final answers:
    ##n = 8.1*10^{21} m^{-3}##
    ##\mu = 0.007 m^2/Vs##

From this, how can I know if it's a p-type or n-type semiconductor? According to all the info I can find, the calculation I've just done is based on the assumption that I'm working with an intrinsic semiconductor which means it isn't n-type or p-type because ##n=p##. So I must be going wrong with the assumptions I've made in simplifying the calculation..? I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2
    Ah, I've cracked it.

The Hall coefficient is a positive value which means we're working with positive charge carriers. So it's p-type.

Also I think this means I should not use the factor of 2 in the conductivity equation and simply use ##\sigma = pe\mu##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted