1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the following statement true or false. prove?

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let a,b,c be three integers is a divides c and b divides c, then either a divides b or b divides a.

if a,b,c,d are real numbers with a<b and c<d, then ac<bd.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So for part 1

Since a/c and b/c

then, c=ak and c=bd for some integers k,d.

hence, ak=bd

so a/b=d/k

where d/k =l for some integer l.

so a/b=l... Therefore a/b. end of proof.

for part 2)

a<b and c<d (given).

let a= -5 and b=-4 satisfying a<b

and let c=-7 and d=-5 satisfying c<d

so then ac

= 35

and bd

= 20

so 35<20

but this is false

therefore ac<bd is false. end of proof.

Can Someone please tell me if I have done this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    How do you know d/k is an integer? Try a few values out for a, b, and c and see how the corresponding d and k correlate. You should see the answer to the problem pretty quickly!

The second counterexample looks good!

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    So for the first part can I just use examples and then prove it false I guess I can, but I would like to know how to prove it algebraically without having to use real number, since most of the proofs I am doing at the moment involve this.

Ok so

a/c and b/c (given)

let c=3 and a=9 and b=12

so 9=3k for some positive integer k

and 12=3s for some positive integer s

but 12 does not divide 9 and 9 does not divide 12. therefore a/b or b/a is false.

but obviously I can make this statement true ie if k=6 and s=12... Although I guess this in not a "for some" statement... but I really don't like doing proofs this way.

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4
    Well, if a statement is sfalse, the only way to really prove it is to provide a counterexample.

In your example, 9 and 12 don't both divide 3. You have the definition backwards, a and b will be multiplied by the interger terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook