Is the Hubble Telescope Smiling at a Gravitational Lens?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hubble Photo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
7,830
Reaction score
4,173
oosmile.jpg


Story at: http://spaceref.com/astronomy/hubble-sees-a-smiling-gravitational-lens.html
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Soundmike, davenn, wabbit and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Now we have the face to go along with the finger of god, only hand, arm and torso left to find.
 
Cute:smile:

You might tempt me to make an avatar out of this:)
 
wabbit said:
Cute:smile:

You might tempt me to make an avatar out of this:)

Well, here are 3 you can choose from

1) as is
2) closer in and w/ upper right arc removed
3) same as 2 but w/ distracting background spots removed.
smile1.jpg
smile2.jpg
smile3.jpg
 
wabbit said:
OMG the wabbit avatar is in trouble... Thanks:)
Actually, I like the wabbit better because my avatar eats wabbits :smile:

[actually, my avatar wouldn't have eaten a live wabbit even if it had bit him on the nose]
 
Well hello from outer space...:smile:

Now now mr dog are you going to eat this?

Edit: it really is sppoky, I think I'll revert to the wabbit pretty soon or I'll get nightmares...
 
Last edited:
wabbit said:
Well hello from outer space...:smile:

Now now mr dog are you going to eat this?

Edit: it really is sppoky, I think I'll revert to the wabbit pretty soon or I'll get nightmares...
I sent the pic to several friends and the first response I got the guy said it looked creepy. Guess I'm missing something ... I just see it as incredibly nifty.

Oh, and no, I'm got going to try swallowing something that big, so you're safe as long as you keep it :smile:
 
phinds said:
Oh, and no, I'm got going to try swallowing something that big:

There are probably a few black holes in there too, so digestion might be troublesome :)