Is the Jacobian Equal to the Quotient of Scale Factors?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jacobian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jhenrique
Messages
676
Reaction score
4
In somewhere in wikipedia, I found a "shortcut" for compute the jacobian, the formula is: [tex]\frac{\partial(q_1 , q_2 , q_3)}{\partial (x, y, z)} = h_1 h_2 h_3[/tex] where q represents the coordinate of other system and h its factor of scale.

I know that this relationship is true. What I'd like of know is if this equation below is true: [tex]\frac{\partial(q_1 , q_2 , q_3)}{\partial (Q_1, Q_2, Q_3)} = \frac{h_1 h_2 h_3}{H_1 H_2 H_3}[/tex] where Q represents the coordinate of another system and H its factor of scale.

Is correct to affirm that the jacobian is equal to the quotient between the scale factors?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is to invent a definition of [tex]\frac{\partial(q_1 , q_2 , q_3)}{\partial (Q_1, Q_2, Q_3)} .[/tex] It is not true nor false: it is a definition.