1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime Factorization (Arithmetic)

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume n = p_1*p_2*p_3*...*p_r = q_1*q_2*q_3*...*q_s, where the p's and q's are primes. We can assume that none of the p's are equal to any of the q's. Why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely stuck on this. My understanding of the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is that each number n[itex]\geq[/itex]2 has a unique prime factorization. So how could we possibly assume that the p's aren't equal to the q's?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this literally the statement of your homework question?

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I'm with you. The question doesn't make any sense to me either.

5. Sep 25, 2013 #4
    Yes. The only 2 approaches I could really think of is that, since they didn't specify that n is greater than or equal to 2, so if all of q_j are negative and if j is an even number, then it would hold up. The other approach would be to describe n as a member of a set with "primes" in the sense that they cannot be divisible by other numbers in the set other than 1 and itself.

6. Sep 26, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would be inclined to say that "prime" implies positive and so the "unique factorization property" says, to the contrary of what this purports, that if p_1*p_2*p_3*...*p_r = q_1*q_2*q_3*...*q_s, then the "p"s and "q"s must be equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted