Is the level-set for a given function unique?

• B
  • Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of level sets in defining a function ##f:\mathbb{R}^2\longrightarrow\mathbb{R}##. It highlights the importance of precise language in mathematical definitions and proofs. The conversation also presents a rudimentary explanation of why level sets are unique in ##\mathbb{R}^2## and how they can uniquely define a function. However, it is not a formal proof and does not fully address the issue of uniqueness.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
Assume that I've only taken math courses up until Calculus III. Informal definition is as follows:

Let ##f:\mathbb{R}^2\longrightarrow\mathbb{R}## be defined. Then the level set of ##f## w.r.t. some point ##z\in f(\mathbb{R}^2)## is the set of points ##(x,y)## in the ##xy##-plane with the property that ##f(x,y)=z##.
Let ##f,g:\mathbb{R}^2\longrightarrow\mathbb{R}## be defined, and denote ##D=f(\mathbb{R}^2)##. Assume without loss of generality that ##g(\mathbb{R}^2)\equiv f(\mathbb{R}^2)##.

Define a function ##\varphi_f:D\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## as follows: ##\varphi_f(z)=\{(x,y):f(x,y)=z\}##, and define ##\varphi_g## similarly. Let ##z\in D##. Suppose that ##\varphi_g\equiv\varphi_f##. Then ##\{(x,y):f(x,y)=z\}=\{(x,y):g(x,y)=z\}##. In other words, the point ##z## associates the functions ##f,g## to the same exact points ##(x,y)## in ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

Hence, for every ##(x,y)\in \varphi_f(z)##:

\begin{eqnarray*}
(x,y,f(x,y))=(x,y,g(x,y))\\
(0,0,(f-g)(x,y))=(0,0,0)
\end{eqnarray*}

It follows then, that ##f\equiv g##.

This isn't actually a proof; I'm just asking a question that I cannot find an answer to on the internet. This is just a rudimentary explanation of why I think level sets are unique in ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is right. If you are given all the level sets, along with the value f takes on each of them, f is clearly uniquely defined as given any point (x,y), it must be contained inside a single level set, and then f(x,y) is uniquely determined.

I have typically seen the word "level set" to refer to just the sets of (x,y) without z attached. For example ##f(x,y)=x^2+y^2## has circles as its level sets. Just being told the level sets are circles is *not* sufficient to uniquely identify the function.

Likes Delta2 and Eclair_de_XII
This is not a proof that the level sets are unique. If anything is as an attempted proof that the level sets uniquely define a function.
Lesson #1 in math after Calc III: "Informal" definitions and proofs are dangerous. You have to be careful with your words.

1. What does it mean for a level-set to be unique?

A level-set for a given function is considered unique if it is the only set of points that satisfy the equation of the function. In other words, there are no other sets of points that have the same value for the function.

2. How do you determine if a level-set is unique for a given function?

To determine if a level-set is unique for a given function, you can plot the function and visually inspect if there are any other sets of points that have the same value. Alternatively, you can use mathematical methods such as partial derivatives to prove the uniqueness of the level-set.

3. Can a function have multiple unique level-sets?

Yes, a function can have multiple unique level-sets. This means that there can be more than one set of points that satisfy the equation of the function and have the same value.

4. Are there any restrictions on the type of functions that can have unique level-sets?

No, there are no specific restrictions on the type of functions that can have unique level-sets. Any function that can be graphed in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space can have unique level-sets.

5. Why is it important to determine if a level-set is unique for a given function?

Determining the uniqueness of a level-set for a given function is important in many areas of science and engineering. It can help in solving optimization problems, identifying critical points, and understanding the behavior of a function. It is also crucial in applications such as computer graphics and image processing.