Is the limit of 1/x^2 as x approaches 0 non-existent?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JG89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JG89
Messages
724
Reaction score
1
Obviously [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x^2} = \infty[/tex], but am I correct in saying that the limit as x approaches 0 of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] doesn't exist?

If it did exist then one of the conditions would be, for values of x sufficiently close to 0, [tex]|x-\infty| = \infty < \delta[/tex] which obviously isn't true for all positive values of delta. Am this correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct in saying that the limit does not exist. However,

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = \infty[/tex] means that for every [tex]N \in \Re[/tex] there exists a number [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that, for all x,
if [tex]0 < |x-a| < \delta[/tex], then [tex]f(x) > N[/tex].
 
Last edited:
I don't know how I made that mistake :smile:

Thanks for the reply though :)