Calculate limits as distributions

Well done!In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate limits when they are viewed as distributions. The conversation covers using a test function to calculate the limits and integrating with the sifting property. The process involves using the Fourier transform to show that the limit on the left of the equation has the sifting property, leading to the conclusion that the limit is equal to the product of the test function and the delta distribution. The summary concludes that the demonstration provided in the conversation is correct.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate the following limits, when viewed as distributions?
Hi, there. I am reading this thesis. On page 146, it reads that

when viewed as distributions, one can show that the following limits holds:
$$\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\pi \delta(Q-Q') ,$$
$$\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\frac {\cos ((Q+Q')r)}{Q+Q'}=0 .$$

I do not know how to calculate the limits when they are viewed as distributions. I am trying to integrate a test function with the limits. So I try (##Q## is defined as ##Q>0##) $$\lim_ {r\rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^\infty dQ \cos ((Q-Q')r )\frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\frac \pi 2,$$ while ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty dQ \cos ((Q-Q')r ) \delta (Q-Q')=1##. Then I only have ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\pi \delta(Q-Q') /2##. Is this wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
TL;DR Summary: How to calculate the following limits, when viewed as distributions?

Hi, there. I am reading this thesis. On page 146, it reads that
I do not know how to calculate the limits when they are viewed as distributions. I am trying to integrate a test function with the limits. So I try (##Q## is defined as ##Q>0##) $$\lim_ {r\rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^\infty dQ \cos ((Q-Q')r )\frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\frac \pi 2,$$
I have no real answer for you, just a comment.
You need to show that the limit on the left of your equation has the sifting property just like a delta distribution has.
So the integral you state should give cos(Q') if you put cos(Q) (rather than cos(Q-Q')) into the integrand.
You ought to show this in general though: f(Q) is turned into f(Q') by the sifting integral.

I would expand [tex]
\sin r(Q - Q') = \frac{e^{ir(Q-Q')} -e^{-ir(Q-Q')}}{2i}[/tex] and express the integral [tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(Q) \frac{\sin(r(Q-Q'))}{Q-Q'}\,dQ[/tex] as a sum of fourier transforms.

Likes Philip Koeck
Thanks, @Philip Koeck and @pasmith. I will try to demonstrate the first expression.

Suppose ##F(\omega)## is the Fourier transform of ##f(Q)##, i.e., ##f(Q)=(2\pi)^{-1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q}##. Then the integral \begin{align}
&~~\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ f(Q) \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'} \nonumber \\
&=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ (2\pi)^{-1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'} \nonumber \\
&=(2\pi)^{-1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q' } \lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ e^{-i\omega (Q-Q')} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}.\nonumber
\end{align} Letting ##x=Q-Q'##, we have ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ e^{-i\omega (Q-Q')} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-Q'}^\infty dx e^{-i\omega x}\frac {\sin (xr)}{x}##. Further, setting ##y=xr##. it becomes \begin{align}&~~\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy e^{-i\omega y/r}\frac {\sin (y)}{y} \nonumber \\
&=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_0^\infty dy (e^{-i\omega y/r}\frac {\sin (y)}{y}+e^{i\omega y/r}\frac {\sin (y)}{y})\nonumber \\
&=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_0^\infty dy 2\cos(\frac {\omega y}{r})\frac {\sin (y)}{y}\nonumber \\ &=\int_0^\infty dy 2\frac {\sin (y)}{y}=\pi. \nonumber\end{align}
Therefore, ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ f(Q) \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\pi (2\pi)^{1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q' }=\pi f(Q')##. Hence ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\pi \delta(Q-Q')##.

Is the demonstration correct?

Likes Philip Koeck
Haorong Wu said:
Thanks, @Philip Koeck and @pasmith. I will try to demonstrate the first expression.

Suppose ##F(\omega)## is the Fourier transform of ##f(Q)##, i.e., ##f(Q)=(2\pi)^{-1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q}##. Then the integral \begin{align}
&~~\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ f(Q) \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'} \nonumber \\
&=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ (2\pi)^{-1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'} \nonumber \\
&=(2\pi)^{-1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q' } \lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ e^{-i\omega (Q-Q')} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}.\nonumber
\end{align} Letting ##x=Q-Q'##, we have ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ e^{-i\omega (Q-Q')} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-Q'}^\infty dx e^{-i\omega x}\frac {\sin (xr)}{x}##. Further, setting ##y=xr##. it becomes \begin{align}&~~\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy e^{-i\omega y/r}\frac {\sin (y)}{y} \nonumber \\
&=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_0^\infty dy (e^{-i\omega y/r}\frac {\sin (y)}{y}+e^{i\omega y/r}\frac {\sin (y)}{y})\nonumber \\
&=\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty}\int_0^\infty dy 2\cos(\frac {\omega y}{r})\frac {\sin (y)}{y}\nonumber \\ &=\int_0^\infty dy 2\frac {\sin (y)}{y}=\pi. \nonumber\end{align}
Therefore, ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^\infty dQ f(Q) \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\pi (2\pi)^{1/2} \int d\omega F(\omega) e^{-i\omega Q' }=\pi f(Q')##. Hence ##\lim_{r\rightarrow \infty} \frac {\sin ((Q-Q')r)}{Q-Q'}=\pi \delta(Q-Q')##.

Is the demonstration correct?
Looks good to me.

Likes Haorong Wu

1. What is the concept of calculating limits as distributions?

Calculating limits as distributions is a method used in mathematics and science to determine the value of a limit for a function that may not have a defined limit at a particular point. It involves approaching the point from both sides and looking at the behavior of the function near the point to determine the limit.

2. How is calculating limits as distributions different from traditional limits?

Traditional limits are calculated by evaluating the function at a specific point, while calculating limits as distributions takes into account the behavior of the function near the point. This allows for a more accurate determination of the limit, especially for functions that have discontinuities or undefined points.

3. What is the significance of calculating limits as distributions?

Calculating limits as distributions is important because it allows for a more precise determination of limits for functions that may have complex or undefined behavior at certain points. It also helps to better understand the behavior of a function near a particular point, which can have important implications in various fields of science and mathematics.

4. Can calculating limits as distributions be used for all types of functions?

Yes, calculating limits as distributions can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, rational, exponential, and trigonometric functions. It is a general method that can be applied to any function, as long as the function is continuous near the point being evaluated.

5. How is calculating limits as distributions applied in real-world scenarios?

Calculating limits as distributions is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science to model and analyze real-world phenomena. It is used to determine the behavior of a system or function near a certain point, which can help in making predictions and solving problems related to the system or function.