Is the Math GRE Necessary for a Physics Program?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking the math GRE after getting a good score on the physics GRE. The expert summarizer suggests that taking the math subject test would be a waste of time and money, and emphasizes the importance of accomplishments in graduate school rather than test scores.
Silviu
Hello! I took my physics GRE and I got a good score on it. I am thinking to take the Math one, too (I looked over the problems and they seem ok). Do you think it worths? Like, if i apply to a physics program, would math GRE have any impact or they would completely ignore it? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the math subject test? It would be a waste of time and money.

You sure are starting a lot of threads about how high your test scores are. I think when you get to grad school you will find the department is less impressed by test scores than by accomplishments.

Likes Dishsoap

1. What is the purpose of the Math GRE for Physics program?

The Math GRE for Physics program is designed to assess an individual's mathematical abilities and knowledge in preparation for graduate studies in physics. It serves as an important criterion for admission to many graduate programs in physics.

2. How is the Math GRE for Physics different from the regular Math GRE?

The Math GRE for Physics focuses specifically on mathematical concepts and techniques that are relevant to the study of physics, such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and vector calculus. It also includes physics-related questions and problems, whereas the regular Math GRE does not.

3. What topics are covered in the Math GRE for Physics?

The Math GRE for Physics covers a wide range of topics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, vector calculus, and complex numbers. It also includes questions on mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics, as well as mathematical methods commonly used in physics.

4. How can I prepare for the Math GRE for Physics?

To prepare for the Math GRE for Physics, it is important to review and practice the relevant mathematical concepts and techniques. This can be done through textbooks, online resources, and practice exams. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with physics-related questions and problems, and to work on your problem-solving skills.

5. How important is the Math GRE for Physics in the graduate school application process?

The importance of the Math GRE for Physics varies among graduate programs, but it is generally considered to be an important factor in the overall application. A high score can strengthen your application and demonstrate your readiness for graduate studies in physics, while a low score may raise concerns about your mathematical abilities and readiness for the program.