Enrolling in a Graduate Physics Program with an Architecture Degree

In summary, it is possible to enroll in a graduate program in physics with an undergraduate degree in architecture. Some programs may accept students from related disciplines, such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or applied mathematics. Good grades in relevant coursework, such as calculus and introductory physics, can strengthen the application. Additionally, scoring above 60-65% on the physics GRE or qualifying exam is recommended. It is also possible to enroll as a special student and take undergraduate courses to enhance the graduate school application. However, it may be necessary to take additional undergraduate courses as preparation for graduate coursework.
Kat3011
Hello,
Is it possible to enroll in a graduate program in physics if I have an an undergraduate degree in architecture? Or is an undergraduate degree in physics- or in a related field- required to qualify?
(Assuming that I have studied extensively physics (alone) while obtaining my degree in architecture)

Physics news on Phys.org
Some programs will accept students from related disciplines into their graduate physics programs. Usually electrical engineering, maybe aerospace engineering, maybe mechanical engineering or applied mathematics are also considered.
Architecture is interesting. In my experience, the architecture majors were some of the hardest working graduates I ever met in graduate school. You may be able to convince using your application, that your background coursework makes you an acceptable candidate. I figure it is likely that in your architecture program, you probably needed courses in calculus, and some introductory physics, and maybe classical mechanics and possibly some engineering courses. Good grades in these courses would bolster your argument.
I read what Vanadium had to say about the physics GRE / qualifying exam. I do not think it is quite this troublesome. Of course, the better score the better, but I would put a lower limit of 60-65 % rather than 75%, on the GRE, depending on the University you are applying to.
I think a score lower than 50% would not do much good.

Now when I started, my GPA was low (but improving), and I had a part time job. I needed letters of recommendation, and coursework to enhance my graduate school application. I went to a course professor and offered to take his course for credit, and the university allowed be to be enrolled as a "special student". Now mind you, I was not financially supported by the school, and I was not enrolled as a Master's student, and I had to pay the tuition out of my own bank account, but it was the beginning of my graduate career. I was accepted with funding at another graduate school the next year.

In light of this, I would say your chance of being enrolled in coursework (as I was), might be quite good, Being instantly enrolled in a masters program, might be harder, but might be doable.

Likes Keith_McClary
I think you will find that you need to take a host of undergraduate course as prep for the graduate course. That is not a reason not to do the physics degree, but you need to be realistic here.

1. Can I enroll in a graduate physics program with an architecture degree?

Yes, it is possible to enroll in a graduate physics program with an architecture degree. While most physics programs prefer students with a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, they may also consider applicants with a strong background in mathematics and science.

2. Will my architecture degree be considered relevant for a graduate physics program?

Yes, your architecture degree can be considered relevant for a graduate physics program. Architecture involves a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills, which are also important in the field of physics.

3. Do I need to have a specific GPA to be accepted into a graduate physics program?

Each program may have different requirements, but most graduate physics programs look for applicants with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, having a higher GPA can increase your chances of being accepted.

4. Will I need to take additional courses to be eligible for a graduate physics program with an architecture degree?

It depends on your undergraduate coursework. If your architecture degree included courses in physics, mathematics, and other related sciences, you may not need to take additional courses. However, if your coursework is lacking in these areas, you may need to take some prerequisite courses before applying to a graduate physics program.

5. Can I pursue a career in both architecture and physics with a graduate physics degree?

Yes, having a graduate physics degree can open up opportunities for a career in both architecture and physics. Some possible career paths include working as a research scientist, data analyst, or consultant in the field of architecture, or pursuing a career in academia as a physics professor.