Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is the Milky Way unique or do other galaxies have these voids in their centers?

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

It doesn't say there's a void, it says there are fewer young stars in the region.

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The thought of the milky way being unique seems to me to be prima facie absurd given that the observable universe alone has billions of galaxies.

5. Aug 3, 2016 #4

DrSteve

Gold Member

The bulge is known to be a region of low gas content/older stars - that this phenomena extends beyond the bulge is not terribly surprising. I'd be astounded if the don't eventually see the same phenomenon in other similarly sized and similarly aged spiral galaxies.

6. Aug 10, 2016 #5

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

There is no void at the very center. It states that there is a small collection of Cepheids in the heart of the Milky Way, but that area only has a radius of 150 light years. After that, 8000 light years is void of young stars. I doubt it's unique to the Milky Way, the same information could probably be applied to other galaxies like our own, but maybe not all of them.

7. Aug 10, 2016 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... around the centre

@wolram, you really did misrepresent/misunderstand what was written

rather at the centre of the Milky Way and as with many/most galaxies there is a supermassive black hole in the core

regards
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted