Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the physics within the Solar system really understood?

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lammerzahl, Preuss & Dittus' paper Is the physics within the Solar system really understood? claims that the following anomalies may indicate new physics, even within solar syatem:
    Are these serious concerns or is "more compelling evidence" required before our basic understanding of gravitational phenomena is seriously reviewed?

Garth

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I seriously doubt we can observationally confirm effects like dark matter/energy within the solar system. We can pretty much already rule out any significant fraction of DM [wrt to solar mass] in the vicinity of our solar system. The pioneer anomaly remains interesting. I doubt you can attribute it to equipment malfunctions, but systematic measurement errors appear to still be in play. I would really like to see a mission dedicated to confirming the pioneer effect.

4. Apr 23, 2006 #3
    "Garth"; these are not serious concerns. Our understanding of gravitational phenomena is sound. It does not require review.

Sweet dreams.

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I like the way Garth thinks. He asks good questions. And most of them are not terribly inconvenient or expensive to test.

6. Apr 24, 2006 #5

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes Critical_Pedagogy, my dreams are sweet!:smile:

I am interested, how do you account for the Pioneer or 'Fly-by' Anomalies?

Garth

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  7. Apr 24, 2006 #6
    These areas certainly are important and interesting, Garth. I think the Pioneer Anomaly may be conquered by an experiment specifically designed to measure it, with as many systematics as possible constrained.

8. Aug 9, 2009 #7
    To answer the question, simply NO.
    The more we learn the more we become aware of how much we do not know.
    We will not completely understand the physics of our solar system for many generations, there is just too much out there and we have limited capabilities to get there.

9. Aug 9, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Three year old thread.....locking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?