Is the question solve y'' = x^3/y a misprint?

• Thread starter Damned charming :)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    misprint
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation y''=x^3/y, with the participants initially thinking it may be a misprint. They also discuss using Wolfram Alpha and Mathematica to solve the equation, as well as the possibility of it being a real-life problem. One participant suggests a method for finding a particular solution, but is still struggling with finding the general solution.
Damned charming :)
I saw a first year question solve y''=x^3/y
I am assuming that this is a misprint because
solving y'= x^3/y is easy because it is separable
but I have no idea how to solve
y'' = x^3/y

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel quite silly for not noticing the differential equations forum, How do I get this thread moved.

Damned charming :) said:
I feel quite silly for not noticing the differential equations forum, How do I get this thread moved.
Use the "report" button and ask that it be moved.

Done!

I saw a first year question solve y''=x^3/y
I am assuming that this is a misprint because
solving y'= x^3/y is easy because it is separable
but I have no idea how to solve
y'' = x^3/y

Try going to Wolfram Alpha and typing:

DSolve[y''[x]==x^3/y[x],y,x]

That give you a quick and simple way to test if it's simple but keep in mind there are rare exceptions. So if Alpha can't solve it, then there is a good chance it's either not easy to solve and so would not be a first-year question or it was meant to be solved numerically which I think could be first-year.

Also if you're interested, just type DSolve[y''[x]+y[x]==0,y,x] just so you know what it looks like when it can solve it.

For the record I do not advocate students turning to Alpha to do their homework. Please try and learn how to do it yourself then learn how to use a CAS to reinforce your understanding of the subject. :)

Last edited:
Mathematica cannot seem to do it,

It can solve y'' = 1/y

The solution is
e to the power of a complicated function of the Inverse of the intergral of e^-(x^2)

I cannot see how multiplying by x^3 would make it easier.

I would bet a reasonable sum of money on it being a misprint.

. . . suppose it's not a mis-print. This is a DE forum after all. Then what? Know about that BP oil-spill in the Gulf? That's not an easy one either. That's how it is in real life. Nothing like (a majority of) the textbook equations. Suppose you had to solve it. What do you do?

This is what I'd try:

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a^n x^n \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} n(n-1)a_n x^{n-2}=x^3[/itex]

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n} a_{2+k}(2+k)(1+k)a_{n-k}x^n=x^3[/itex]

with [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]a_1[/itex] arbitrary and [itex]a_0\ne 0[/itex] since it's singular at [itex]y(x)=0[/itex]

Last edited:
I have found a particular solution:

[tex]y(x)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{15}}x^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

Please refer to this:

http://www.voofie.com/content/75/how-to-solve-non-linear-second-order-differential-equation-given-a-particular-solution/"

It talks about how to solve for the particular solution. However, I am getting stuck in finding the general solution. Hope someone can help too.

Last edited by a moderator:

1) Is there a typo in the equation "solve y'' = x^3/y"?

Based on the given equation, there does not appear to be a typo. The double prime notation indicates that we are taking the second derivative of the function y with respect to x. The x^3 term suggests that this is a non-linear differential equation, and the y term in the denominator is a common occurrence in this type of equation.

2) Should the equation be "solve y' = x^3/y" instead?

No, the given equation is written correctly. The single prime notation indicates the first derivative, while the double prime notation indicates the second derivative. Therefore, the equation is asking for the solution to the second derivative of y with respect to x.

3) Is it possible to solve for y in this equation?

Yes, it is possible to solve for y in this equation. However, the solution will likely be in the form of a differential equation, rather than a single value for y. This type of equation is commonly solved using techniques such as separation of variables or variation of parameters.

4) Can you provide an example of a function y that satisfies this equation?

One example of a function y that satisfies this equation is y = x^4 + 1. When plugged into the given equation, the second derivative of y with respect to x is y'' = 12x^2, which can be rewritten as y'' = x^3/y.

5) What is the significance of this type of equation in science?

Non-linear differential equations, such as the one given in this question, have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, population growth, and electrical circuits. Solving these equations allows scientists to make predictions and better understand the behavior of these systems.