1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the square of a function always positive

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    I'm curious, is the square of any function always positive?

It seems obvious that it's always positive because if you have a function (F), an input (x) and an output (y) then you have y = F(x)

And if you square the function then (F(x))2 = y2 which means that every value in the range is now positive.

Is this always true?

Also, if you can also answer this that would be great, if I have two positive functions and I am taking the definite integral of the product of those two functions, will I always get a number greater than or equal to 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, what you said is correct if you are careful with your qualifiers. If f is a real valued function, then [itex]f(x)^2[/itex] is non-negative (not, strictly speaking, "always positive"). That is because, for any x, f(x) is just a real number and the square of any real number is non-negative. (Note the difference between the function "f", and the real number, "f(x)", which is a number.)

If, for all x in [a, b], both f(x) and g(x) are greater than or equal to 0, then [itex]\int_a^b f(x)g(x)dx\ge 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook