Is the Square Root of an Unbiased Variance Estimator Also Unbiased?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thrillhouse86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Variance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
thrillhouse86
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Hey all,

In Schaum's outline it claims that the sample variance of s^2 is a biased estimate of the population variance because its mean is given by:
[tex]\mu_{s^{2}} = \frac{N-1}{N}\sigma^{2}[/tex]

which I am cool with. It then says that the modified variance given by:
[tex]\hat{s} = \frac{N}{N-1}s^{2}[/tex]
is an unbiased estimator. I know this should be really easy, but I don't know how to show it.

Also even if I accept that [tex]\hat{s}^{2}[/tex] is an unbiased estimator of the variance, Schaum's outline claims that [tex]\hat{s}[/tex] is a biased estimator of the population standard deviation. I don't see how this could be possible. if the variance is unbiased, and we take the square root of that unbiased estimator, won't the result also be unbiased ?

Thanks,
Thrillhouse
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you calculate

[tex] E(\hat{s}^2) = E\left(\frac{N}{N-1} s^2\right)[/tex]

using the first result you mention.

On the second point: you could work out the distribution of [tex]s[/tex] and then find the expectation and see that [itex]E(s) \ne \sigma[/itex], or simply take as explanation the fact that even thought

[tex] s = \sqrt{s^2}[/tex]

it is not true that

[tex] E(s) = \sqrt{E(s^2)}[/tex]

which would have to be true to have [itex]s[/itex] as an unbiased estimator of [itex]\sigma[/itex].
 
thrillhouse86 said:
Hey all,

In Schaum's outline it claims that the sample variance of s^2 is a biased estimate of the population variance because its mean is given by:
[tex]\mu_{s^{2}} = \frac{N-1}{N}\sigma^{2}[/tex]

which I am cool with. It then says that the modified variance given by:
[tex]\hat{s} = \frac{N}{N-1}s^{2}[/tex]
is an unbiased estimator. I know this should be really easy, but I don't know how to show it.

Also even if I accept that [tex]\hat{s}^{2}[/tex] is an unbiased estimator of the variance, Schaum's outline claims that [tex]\hat{s}[/tex] is a biased estimator of the population standard deviation. I don't see how this could be possible. if the variance is unbiased, and we take the square root of that unbiased estimator, won't the result also be unbiased ?

Thanks,
Thrillhouse

It sounds like you are overcomplicating the problem. Your first equation shows a bias factor of (N-1)/N, so simply multiplying by N/(N-1) removes the bias.