Unbiased estimator/MSE from a Gamma dist.

• Thread starter daoshay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gamma
In summary, the conversation discusses the MLE of a distribution with the parameter theta being estimated as xbar/4. The individual is unsure if this estimate is unbiased and seeks to determine the expected value of theta-hat. They also mention using the gamma distribution and finding the MSE of theta-hat. They clarify that the equation should be f(x|\theta) and mention using dummy data for the analysis. They also mention that the ML estimate of theta is unbiased and provide a formula for estimating theta for the gamma distribution. Further research shows a small upward bias for ML estimates of the mean and variance.
daoshay
I have given some serious effort to working out and understanding the MLE of a distribution. From the distribution f(x;[tex]\theta[/tex])= [tex]x^{3}[/tex][tex]e^{-x/\theta}[/tex]/(6[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex]), I have gotten the MLE theta-hat = xbar/4

I have a lot of difficulty figuring out if it is an unbiased estimator or not. How do I determine the expected value of theta-hat?

Physics news on Phys.org
daoshay said:
I have given some serious effort to working out and understanding the MLE of a distribution. From the distribution f(x;[tex]\theta[/tex])= [tex]x^{3}[/tex][tex]e^{-x/\theta}[/tex]/(6[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex]), I have gotten the MLE theta-hat = xbar/4

I have a lot of difficulty figuring out if it is an unbiased estimator or not. How do I determine the expected value of theta-hat?

You're saying MLE in the text and MSE in the title. For the Mean Squared Error, you can get a Bayesian minimum. (see Gamma Distribution in the Wiki). You make a Maximum Likelihood Estimate of a parameter, not a distribution. You can write a likelihood function for a distribution.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I was rushed while typing that up and I'm afraid I wasn't clear. I found the MLE for the parameter theta. I am supposed to test it for all theta for bias and then find the MSE of theta-hat.

Based on the gamma family, the mean of this distribution should be 4theta --> theta = mu/4
Bias is E(theta-hat)-theta, right?

Now, I'm supposed to find the MSE of theta-hat E[(theta-hat -theta)^2] right?
So, am I supposed to use the value of theta based on the distribution? I'll check my work on the expansion and check back later. Thanks for your patience. =)

daoshay said:
I'm sorry, I was rushed while typing that up and I'm afraid I wasn't clear. I found the MLE for the parameter theta. I am supposed to test it for all theta for bias and then find the MSE of theta-hat.

Based on the gamma family, the mean of this distribution should be 4theta --> theta = mu/4
Bias is E(theta-hat)-theta, right?

Now, I'm supposed to find the MSE of theta-hat E[(theta-hat -theta)^2] right?
So, am I supposed to use the value of theta based on the distribution? I'll check my work on the expansion and check back later. Thanks for your patience. =)

Your equation has only one parameter so it's a simple exponential distribution (or gamma with k=1). [tex]\theta[/tex] is the reciprocal of the rate parameter which is often written as [tex]\lambda[/tex]. So [tex]E|X|=\theta=\frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex]. [tex]Var|X|=\frac{1}{\lambda^2}[/tex]. For MSE use the Baysian minimum that I referred to earlier. Are you using any dummy (or real) data here?

EDIT: I'm using [tex]\theta[/tex] above as the mean of the distribution [tex]F(x;\theta)[/tex]. Otherwise, this is not making any sense to me.

Last edited:
daoshay said:
I have given some serious effort to working out and understanding the MLE of a distribution. From the distribution f(x;[tex]\theta[/tex])= [tex]x^{3}[/tex][tex]e^{-x/\theta}[/tex]/(6[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex]),

Are you sure that shouldn't be [tex] f(x|\theta)[/tex]? ie [tex]L(\theta|x)=f(x|\theta)[/tex].

EDIT: OK. I see that k=4. Now for some N you can estimate [tex]\theta[/tex] for the gamma distribution. As far as I know the ML estimate of [tex] \theta[/tex] is unbiased, assuming an unbiased sample. [tex]\hat{\theta} =\frac{1}{kN}\sum_{i=1}^{N}x_{i}[/tex].

Last edited:
I looked further into the issue of estimator bias for the gamma distribution. Numerical analysis for moderate sized samples indicate a small "upward" or positive bias for ML estimates of the mean and variance.

http://web.uvic.ca/econ/research/papers/ewp0908.pdf

The bias of [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] is shown on page 8, equation (14).

Last edited:

1. What is an unbiased estimator from a Gamma distribution?

An unbiased estimator from a Gamma distribution is a statistical measure that is used to estimate the value of a population parameter, such as the mean or variance, based on a sample from a Gamma distribution. An unbiased estimator is considered desirable because it is not influenced by any systematic errors and provides an accurate estimate of the population parameter.

2. How is an unbiased estimator calculated from a Gamma distribution?

An unbiased estimator from a Gamma distribution is calculated by taking the sample mean and dividing it by a constant, known as the degrees of freedom. The degrees of freedom is equal to the sample size minus one. This calculation ensures that the estimator is not biased and provides an accurate estimate of the population parameter.

3. What is the Mean Squared Error (MSE) in relation to a Gamma distribution?

The Mean Squared Error (MSE) is a measure of the average squared difference between the estimated value and the true value of a population parameter. In the context of a Gamma distribution, the MSE is used to evaluate the performance of an unbiased estimator. A lower MSE indicates a more accurate estimator.

4. How is the MSE calculated for an unbiased estimator from a Gamma distribution?

The MSE for an unbiased estimator from a Gamma distribution is calculated by taking the expected value of the squared difference between the estimated value and the true value of the population parameter. This calculation involves using the properties of the Gamma distribution, such as the mean and variance, to determine the expected value.

5. Why is it important to use an unbiased estimator and consider the MSE in a Gamma distribution?

Using an unbiased estimator and considering the MSE in a Gamma distribution is important because it allows for accurate estimation of population parameters, such as means and variances. Biased estimators can lead to incorrect conclusions and decisions, while a high MSE indicates that the estimator is not providing accurate estimates. By using an unbiased estimator and minimizing the MSE, we can ensure the reliability and validity of our statistical analyses.