Is the Sum of Deviations from the Median Always the Smallest?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gianeshwar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Median Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
gianeshwar
Messages
225
Reaction score
14
Dear Friends!
Is sum of deviations from median always minimum,in comparison to deviations from mean,mode or any other observation?Why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gianeshwar said:
Dear Friends!
Is sum of deviations from median always minimum,in comparison to deviations from mean,mode or any other observation?Why?

I assume you're talking about the sum of the deviations of the values in a sample from a statistic computed from a sample. The sum of the deviations of sample values from the sample mean is zero.
 
A median minimizes this sum (in a sample) as a function of [itex]a[/itex]
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n |x_i - a|[/tex]

The mean (sample average if you will) minimizes this sum as a function of [itex]a[/itex]
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n \left(x_i - a\right)^2[/tex]

I don't know of any minimizing property for the mode.
 
OK - I didn't know of any useful minimization property for the mode.