Is the Sum of Two Elements in a Convex Compact Subset of R^2 Also in the Subset?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter almostsure
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compact Convex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
almostsure
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Let $X$ be a compact and convex subset of $\mathbb{R^2}$

Let $a^1, a^2 \in X$ such that $a^j = (a^j_1, a^j_2)$, $j=1,2$

Is $c= \sum_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{I}_{ i=j} a^j_i \in X \quad ?$
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The '$' won't work as a tag to encapsulate LaTex on this forum. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

I don't understand all the symbolism in your question, but using the tags
Code:
 [itex]...[/itex]
instead of $, it comes out as:

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a compact and convex subset of [itex]\mathbb{R^2}[/itex]

Let [itex]a^1, a^2 \in X[/itex] such that [itex]a^j = (a^j_1, a^j_2)[/itex],[itex]j=1,2[/itex]

Is [itex]c= \sum_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{I}_{ i=j} a^j_i \in X \quad ?[/itex]