Is there a difference between divisor or factor?

• B
  • Thread starter matqkks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, there is no difference between divisor or factor of an integer. Both terms refer to a number that divides into another number evenly. Additionally, for an integer N, if m is a divisor, m is also a factor. This means that if m divides N, there is an integer p such that M = m * p, and both m and p are factors of N. Conflicting information on the internet may be due to different sources using the terms interchangeably.
matqkks
Is there a difference between divisor or factor of an integer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
no difference to me.

matqkks said:
Is there a difference between divisor or factor of an integer?

jedishrfu said:
I don't think so:
I agree.

For an integer N, if m is a divisor, m is also a factor.

If m | N (i.e., m divides N), then there is an integer p such that M = m * p. Clearly both m and p are factors of N.

This is what I thought but have found conflicting info on the internet. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of a divisor?

A divisor is a number that divides evenly into another number, resulting in a whole number without any remainder.

2. How is a divisor different from a factor?

A factor is any number that can be multiplied with another number to get a product, while a divisor is a specific factor that divides evenly into a number without any remainder.

3. Can a number be both a divisor and a factor?

Yes, a number can be both a divisor and a factor. For example, in the number 12, both 2 and 6 are factors and divisors.

4. What is the relationship between divisors and factors?

Divisors are a subset of factors. This means that all divisors are factors, but not all factors are divisors.

5. How can I find all the divisors and factors of a given number?

To find all the divisors and factors of a given number, you can list out all the possible factors and then check which ones divide evenly into the given number. Alternatively, you can use a mathematical formula to find all the divisors and factors of a number.