Is there a formula for the square of an infinite sum?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinite Square Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Messages
1,222
Reaction score
23
Given a general, convergent infinite sum, say, one like this:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/tex]

Is there a formula for the square of such a sum? I looked at the Cauchy product, but I'd rather not get a double sum as an answer...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
Given a general, convergent infinite sum, say, one like this:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/tex]

Is there a formula for the square of such a sum? I looked at the Cauchy product, but I'd rather not get a double sum as an answer...

YMMV but I wouldn't call the Cauchy product a double sum. And if you wish to write the result as a power series, you're stuck with it. Those finite inner sums give the coefficients of ##x^n##. It is what it is.
 
LCKurtz said:
YMMV but I wouldn't call the Cauchy product a double sum. And if you wish to write the result as a power series, you're stuck with it. Those finite inner sums give the coefficients of ##x^n##. It is what it is.

Aww, well I guess if I need to use the Cauchy product I'll have to figure out how to use it... thanks for the help though!