The product of 2 infinite sums

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
dyn
Messages
774
Reaction score
64
Hi.
I know that eixe-ix = 1 but if I write the product of the 2 exponentials as infinite series I get
ΣnΣm xn/(n!) (-x)m/(m!)
without knowing the result is 1 using exponentials how would I get the result of this product of 2 infinite sums ?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get, if you do not ignore the ##i## as you did, and group the products by degree of ##x##?
 
dyn said:
Hi.
I know that eixe-ix = 1 but if I write the product of the 2 exponentials as infinite series I get
ΣnΣm xn/(n!) (-x)m/(m!)
without knowing the result is 1 using exponentials how would I get the result of this product of 2 infinite sums ?
Thanks
So the series for eu is Σn un/(n!)
and u is either ix or -ix (in your example). But you lost the i when converting to the series.
 
Yes sorry I forgot the i when writing out the infinite series
 
You may also use: ##e^{ix}=(cosx+isinx)## and symmetry properties of ##sinx, cosx##.
 
WWGD said:
You may also use: ##e^{ix}=(cosx+isinx)## and symmetry properties of ##sinx, cosx##.
Sure, you could do that for this particular problem, but this ignores the OP's question about the product of two infinite series.